Easy Instant Pot Butternut Squash Soup recipe full of rich flavor and lots of healthy nutrients. The perfect belly warmer that is ready to be served in 20 minutes!
If you enjoyed stovetop apple butternut squash soup, then you will have a new favorite soup to add to your go-to recipe when you want a flavorful soup on the table quick with this Instant Pot version!
Easy Butternut Squash Recipe In An Instant Pot
I have been completely obsessed with my Instant Pot. Who knew this crazy kitchen gadget would become on of my favorite way to cook.
There is no doubt that I am into the quick and easy way to get nutritious foods on the table.
Especially since it’s just Alan and me eating together most days. We can turn leftovers into a perfect lunch option since we are both working from home.
This butternut squash hits all good things; nutritious, flavorful, and can be on the table quickly!
Butternut soup is made with fresh or frozen butternut squash, a few additional vegetables, spices, vegetable broth and coconut milk.
You will need the following following ingredients:
- Olive oil – or any other neutral oil for sautéing.
- Yellow onion
- Green/tart apple
- Vegetable stock (or chicken stock)
- Butternut squash, cubed (2 pounds) – frozen or fresh – see notes to adjust cooking time.
- Spices: Salt and pepper, dried thyme, curry powder, nutmeg
- Full fat coconut milk (canned)
- Fresh parsley or sage for garnish
- Pumpkin seeds for garnish
You will need the following supplies:
- Instant Pot – 6 quart
- Sharp knife and cutting board
- Spatula or large spoon
- Immersion blender or glass blender to puree. Blend in batches.
How to make Instant Pot Butternut Squash Soup
The best part of one-pot meals is that there is no need to use multiple pans. Note that the coconut milk is stirred into the soup before blending.
For this recipe we chop ingredients, saute the vegetables to release the flavor.
Add ingredients with spices the Instant Pot, turn it on Manuel mode for 8 minutes. Quick release, then add coconut milk.
Finally puree the ingredients with an immersion blender before serving.
Top with pumpkin seeds for a nice little extra crunchy texture.
How do I store Instant Pot Butternut Squash soup?
Store any leftover soup in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 7 days (3 to 4 days if using chicken stock). This soup freezes well. It will keep for at least 3 months in the freezer.
What do you serve with Butternut Squash soup?
You can serve Butternut squash soup with a side salad, roasted fall veggies, or some warm crusty bread.
You might want to try this grain free bread recipe!
Can I use fresh butternut squash instead of frozen in this recipe?
You absolutely can use fresh squash in place of the frozen squash. If you want to peel and cut up the squash yourself, or if your pre-cut squash is not frozen, just decrease the manual cook time on the Instant Pot down to 5 minutes instead of 8.
Is Butternut Squash Soup healthy?
Yes, butternut squash soup has many good-for-you ingredients. This soup is full of healthful vegetables and fruit.
In particular, the squash contains several vitamins and minerals. According to Healthline, Butternut squash is high in potassium which helps your body maintain a healthy blood pressure.
It contains vitamin C, which is great for boosting the immune system. It also contains beta-carotene (so do carrots), which is converted to vitamin A in your body, another vitamin that not only aids the immune system, but also helps keep your eyes strong and healthy.
And finally, this squash is a great source of fiber, which helps regulate blood sugar levels, and fills you up so you feel satiated.
Fiber is also important in aiding in digestion and keeping you regular.
Looking for more squash recipes? Be sure to check these out.
Stuffed Acorn Squash With Sausage
Chicken With Butternut Squash in coconut sauce
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion chopped
- 2 celery stalks chopped
- 1 large carrot chopped
- 1 green apple cored and chopped
- 4 cloves garlic chopped
- 3 cups vegetable stock can use chicken stock if not vegan
- 2 pounds about 7 cups butternut squash, cubes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons thyme
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup full fat coconut milk
- Fresh parsley or sage chopped for garnish optional
- Roasted pumpkin seeds for garnish optional
- Press the Sauté button on Instant Pot. When hot, add olive oil.
- Add in onion and celery and cook until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Next, add in the carrot, apple, and garlic. Sauté for 3 minutes more.
- Stir in the broth, butternut squash, salt, pepper and seasonings.
- Close and lock lid, making sure the vent is sealed. Press the Manual button and set for 8 minutes.
- When Instant Pot beeps done, turn off Keep Warm. Do a quick release. Open the lid and stir in the coconut milk.
- Use an immersion blender to blend up soup to desired consistency. (Alternatively, you can use a blender. You may have to work in batches.)
- Turn Keep Warm mode back on. Taste test soup and adjust salt as desired. Serve immediately or Keep Warm for up to 30 minutes.
- Ladle into bowls and garnish with fresh herbs and/or roasted pumpkin seeds if desired.
Please note that the nutritional information provided are guidelines and may vary based on the brand of products used. For your specific nutritional goals use My Fitness Pal or Verywell Fit recipe calculators. All content within this site is not intended as medical diagnosis or treatment and should not be considered a substitute for professional medical expertise.
PIN TO SOUP AND INSTANT POT BOARDS