Whether you are hosting a backyard BBQ or just looking for an easy weeknight dinner, these Blue Cheese and Bacon Burgers are sure to hit the spot. Juicy and flavorful, they are always a hit with family and friends alike. These are made on the skillet or they can be grilled. So, what are you waiting for? Give them a try today!
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THIS RECIPE
If you are looking for a delicious and easy burger recipe, these Blue Cheese and Bacon Burgers are the perfect choice. Made with just a few simple ingredients, they are juicy and flavorful, and ready to eat in no time at all.
- These Blue Cheese and Bacon Burgers are juicy and flavorful.
- Perfect for a backyard BBQ or easy weeknight dinner.
- Loaded with everyone’s favorite toppings: bacon, blue cheese, lettuce and tomatoes.
- No need to heat out to a restaurant when you are craving a great burger.
Making these homemade bleu cheese burgers are simple. All you need is a few helpful kitchen tools and you will have a family friendly meal in no time at all.
- large skillet
- large bowl
- measuring spoon
You only need a few simple ingredients to make these Blue Cheese and Bacon Burgers! So, gather up these ingredients and get ready to enjoy some restaurant quality at home.
- hamburger buns or ciabatta rolls
- tomato, sliced
- avocado, sliced (optional, highly suggested)
- ground beef (80/20)
- bacon, diced
- blue cheese, crumbled
- Worcestershire sauce
- Dijon mustard
- salt and black pepper to taste
HOW TO MAKE THESE BLUE CHEESE AND BACON BURGERS
Are you ready for a delicious and easy dinner that your entire family will enjoy? Then follow these simple steps below and you will have homemade burgers that are perfect for guests or family dinner nights in no time at all.
STEP 1: COOK THE BACON AND THEN DRAIN
In a large skillet, cook bacon until halfway cooked. Remove from pan and put on paper towels to drain oil.
STEP 2: MIX BEEF AND INGREDIENTS
In a large bowl, break up beef with a fork. Mix in Worcestershire sauce, thyme, mustard, salt and pepper, just until combined. Fold in blue cheese and bacon.
STEP 3: FORM THE MEAT MIXTURE INTO PATTIES
Form four patties with your fingers, handling gently. Using the shell of an egg as a mold, gently place in the middle of each patty forming a divot. Remove egg. Cover patties and put in the refrigerator for at least an hour (2 hours is best).
STEP 4: COOK THE PATTIES IN A SKILLET
On medium-high heat, place hamburger patties on the skillet and cook for 2-3 minutes Flip burgers and cook for 1 minute. Cover skillet and continue to cook for 2-4 minutes or to desired doneness.
STEP 5: TOAST THE BUNS
Split buns and coat with butter or mayonnaise, and toast on a skillet until lightly browned.
STEP 6: ASSEMBLE THE BUNS
Assemble burgers with lettuce, tomatoes and avocado. Serve immediately.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH THESE BURGERS
These burgers are delicious all on their own, but if you are looking to add a few sides to round out your meal then I suggest trying one (or all) of these ideas.
- potato salad
- fruit salad with a simple glaze that makes the fruit pretty.
- corn on the cob – try cooking corn in your Instant Pot!
- macaroni and cheese an adult version from Joyous Apron.
- baked beans grandma’s favorite from An Affair From The Heart.
- Potato wedges or fries made in an air fryer.
SUBSTITUTIONS AND ADDITIONS
While I think these burgers are perfect just the way they are, I know that not everyone feels the same way. So, if you want to mix things up a bit or add in some extra ingredients then feel free to do so with any of the suggestions below.
- Use ground turkey or chicken in place of beef for the burger patty, if you want a lower fat option.
- Add caramelized onions or mushrooms for additional flavor.
- Top with grilled pineapple or jalapeños for a touch of sweetness or heat.
- Switch out the blue cheese for cheddar, Swiss or another favorite cheese to personalize this gourmet burger
- Serve bacon blue cheese burgers on a toasted bun or lettuce wrap for a low carb option.
- You can also top these burgers with blue cheese dressing for extra tang.
- A dash of onion powder or garlic powder added to the meat mixture will result in a delicious flavor in this juicy burger.
- You can also grill these on burger night instead of cooking on the stove top if you prefer.
HOW TO STORE
Leftover burgers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
When you are ready to eat them, simply reheat on a skillet over medium-low heat until warmed through.
You can also freeze cooked burgers for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator and then reheat as needed.
If you want to make sure that your burgers are extra flavorful, then I suggest trying out a few of my favorite tips and tricks below.
- Be gentle when mixing the meat – over mixing will result in tough burgers.
- Don’t skip the chilling step – it helps the flavors meld together and prevents the burger from falling apart when cooking. In a hurry? Place in the freezer to speed up the time.
- Use an eggshell or small measuring cup to make evenly sized patties and create a divot in the center. This will help them cook evenly and prevent shrinking.
- Cook burgers on medium-high heat so that they have a nice sear on the outside but are still juicy on the inside.
- To grill, place on a vegetable grilling pan – not necessary, but very convenient to use when grilling.
- If you don’t have time to make your own potato salad, then simply serve these burgers with some store-bought potato chips instead.
- Using a lean ground beef will be a little drier, than a higher fat meat, adding a little olive oil to the pan is a great idea if you are using lean meat.
- A cast iron skillet gives a nice sear and makes the best hamburgers if you ask me.
Do you have questions about this Blue Cheese Burger Recipe? Here are the answers to the most commonly asked questions.
Yes, you can. However, I prefer to cook the bacon first so that it is partially cooked and then drain it before adding it to the burger mixture. This helps to remove some of the fat and makes it easier to mix into the meat.
First, make sure that you are using ground beef that is at least 80/20. This will help to keep the burgers moist while cooking. Second, do not over mix the meat. Mixing it too much will result in tough, dry burgers.
The best way to reheat a hamburger is on a skillet over medium heat. This will help to prevent the burger from drying out.
This post was first shared February, 2014. It has been updated with photos and additional content, April, 2022.
OTHER DELICIOUS RECIPES YOU MAY ENJOY
- 4 buns (hamburger or ciabatta)
- tomato, sliced
- avocado, sliced
- 1 pound ground beef (80/20)
- 4 slices bacon, diced
- 6 ounces blue cheese, crumbled
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- salt and pepper to taste
Do not over mix meat or your patties will be dense and tough.
Increase the hamburger by 1/2 pound for 5-6 burgers. The rest of the ingredients can stay the same as written.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 728Total Fat: 45gSaturated Fat: 18gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 22gCholesterol: 144mgSodium: 1167mgCarbohydrates: 30gFiber: 5gSugar: 5gProtein: 50g
Please note that the nutritional information provided are guidelines and may vary based on the brand of products used. For your specific nutritional goals use My Fitness Pal or Verywell Fit recipe calculators. All content within this site is not intended as medical diagnosis or treatment and should not be considered a substitute for professional medical expertise.