Cabbage Beef Skillet Recipe, Tex Mex Style with Mexican Cheese Blend! This low carb flavorful meal is ready in under thirty minutes!
Do you have an cast iron skillet? It’s the most versatile pan in the house. There are some healthy benefits too (ten reasons to try cast iron cookware). Use it to cook up your ingredients on the stovetop, and the same skillet can go straight in the oven!
There is a bonus too! You will get a good arm workout lugging that skillet around!
No joke. Cast iron skillets are HEAVY, so factor less time at the gym.
This skillet also retain the heat nicely, so your food will stay warmer longer. That’s important for cooks. How many times have you finally sat down to eat with the family and your food is already cool?
This cabbage beef skillet goes from stovetop to oven, and straight to the table to be plated up…nice and warm!
I seasoned the beef with my homemade taco seasoning mix, and instead of dicing up some onion I used a teaspoon of dried onion, and lots of cheese topped the whole dish!!
Simple, simple, and so flavorful! Most evenings dinner turns into leftovers for lunch, buuuh
There is a BUT coming…
Once we filled our bowls I put the skillet back in the oven and forgot to turn off the oven. Sigh. Between the skillet retaining heat like a mini oven and the extra cooking time, I was left with a charred cabbage beef skillet meal!
Good thing this recipes calls for half a head of cabbage. The other portion will be coked up right away!
- ½ head green cabbage, sliced in shreds
- 2 tablespoons butter, unsalted
- 1 pound ground beef
- 3 tablespoons Taco Seasoning Mix
- 1 teaspoon dried minced onion
- 1½ cups Mexican Cheese Blend
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large skillet add 1 tablespoon of butter and saute cabbage on medium high heat until the cabbage softens. Remove from heat and place cabbage in a separate dish.
- In the same skillet add the remaining tablespoon of butter and cook ground beef breaking up meat as it cooks. Add taco seasoning, onion and stir until meat is cooked. If the meat is dry add up to ¼ cup of water. Return cabbage to skillet and season with salt and pepper. Fold in ½ cup of cheese. Top skillet with remaining cheese and place in the oven. Cook until cheese melts (10 minutes).