This Slushy Watermelon Cooler is a great way to beat the heat on a hot summer day. It’s an easy and refreshing recipe that you can make in minutes. it’s packed with vitamin C, vitamin A, and little bits of flavor so you can feel good about serving it to family and friends!
If you are looking for another delicious slush recipe that is boozy and perfect for cookouts and parties give this Bourbon Slush recipe a try!
Table of Contents
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- This delicious slushy is the perfect drink to enjoy on a hot summer’s day.
- The watermelon juice adds a sweet summer flavor making this beverage perfect for a summer party.
- A great way to keep hydrated during a warm day! Did you know that watermelon is 92% water and one of the best foods that will help you stay hydrated? (UCLA Health News Org). Perfect ingredients to help cool down and recharge those lost nutrients after a workout!
- This beverage is healthy! The banana adds potassium, and the coconut water helps boost electrolytes (Healthline) after exercising.
- It’s a great way to use up leftover watermelon before it goes bad!
Ingredients Need to Make This Watermelon Drink Recipe
You will need a few simple ingredients to help you make this refreshing sweet drink. One of the best things about this easy recipe is that all of the ingredients are easy to find at your local grocery store or produce stand. So, gather these ingredients and get ready to sip on this sweet drink.
- watermelon chunks – I like to use seedless watermelon for this cooler.
- banana – For a smoothie-like texture freeze the banana.
- coconut water – Make sure the brand you purchase is sugar-free.
- fresh lemon juice
- mint leaves
- ice – You will need ice if your fruit is not frozen and you want your beverage extra slushy and cold.
How to Make This Slushy Watermelon Cooler
Making this watermelon cooler is so easy that even your kids can do it! So, on the next hot day pull out your blender and whip up a refreshing batch of this watermelon drink with your family.
Step 1: Blend the ingredients until the desired texture
Add the watermelon, banana, coconut water, lemon juice, and mint leaves in a blender, adding a little more coconut water to blend if needed.
Step 2: Garnish and serve
Pour the slushy into your favorite serving glass, garnish with fresh mint leaves, and a watermelon if desired.
What To Serve With This Dish
Substitutions and Additions
- If your watermelon is not sweet and you want to add more sweetness to your drink you can add your favorite sweetener like simple syrup, stevia, or up to 1/4 cup of sugar. Just blend until the sugar dissolves.
- Swap out the lemon juice or lime juice for a slight flavor twist.
- Instead of using coconut water, you can use club soda for a bubbly twist.
- Change up the flavor of this simple drink by adding some of your favorite fruits like kiwi, strawberries, and even cucumbers.
How To Store
Unfortunately, this watermelon slushie does not store well. I recommend that you only make what you will enjoy right away.
Sandra’s Pro Tips
Here are a few of my favorite tips for making this easy recipe. Use these tips to help you make this sweet drink this summer.
- I recommend using a high-powered blender like a Ninja or a Vitamix to make this refreshing drink.
- If you don’t have a blender, you can use a food processor to make this drink.
- I prefer to use a seedless watermelon so that you don’t have to worry about picking out the black seeds. However, blending the seeds with the ingredients is perfectly fine for you.
- Making this into a slushy? Flash-freeze the watermelon on cookie sheets to help the icy texture or add ice cubes.
- Turn this into a smoothie by leaving out the ice, you can even add some vanilla yogurt to make it creamy.
Do you have questions about this watermelon cooler recipe? Here are the answers to the most commonly asked questions for this recipe.
It’s important to pick a ripe watermelon for this recipe. Look for one that is firm and heavy, and has a yellow spot on the bottom where it was sitting in the sun. This indicates that it is ripe and ready to be used.
Yes, use 1/2 cup water instead of the coconut water if you are not a coconut fan. However, I love the extra flavor that coconut water brings to this drink.
You can turn this into a watermelon cocktail or adult beverage by adding a shot of vodka or coconut rum.
Yes, it is safe to eat black and white watermelon seeds. Watermelon seeds are nutrient dense food.
Other Delicious Watermelon Recipes You May Enjoy
Go get a watermelon. You’ll want to have it all chopped up and ready to make this cooler or these other watermelon recipes!
Easy Watermelon Cooler
- 1 cup watermelon cut into chunks
- 1/2 banana diced
- 1/2 cup coconut water
- 1/2 lemon, juiced approximately 2 tablespoons
- 3 mint leaves
- 2-3 cubes of ice add for slushy
- Combine all ingredients in a blender, adding a little more coconut water if necessary to blend.
- Freeze your watermelon and banana for slushy consistancy or add ice cubes for the same consistency.
- For a slushy texture flash-freeze the watermelon and banana on cookie sheets to help the icy texture or add ice cubes.
- To make this a boozy cocktail for the adults add 1-2 ounces of vodka or coconut rum.
Please note that the nutritional information provided are guidelines and may vary based on the brand of products used. For your specific nutritional goals use My Fitness Pal or Verywell Fit recipe calculators. All content within this site is not intended as medical diagnosis or treatment and should not be considered a substitute for professional medical expertise.
This recipe was first shared in August 2012. The post has been updated with new photos and additional content in August 2023.