Easy Refreshing Watermelon Feta Mint Salad Recipe
This Watermelon Feta Mint Salad is the perfect, refreshing summer side dish. It’s a great way to take advantage of sweet watermelon and juicy fruits during hot summer days. This easy-to-make salad is perfect for potlucks or family dinners.
The mixture of sweet watermelon, tangy onions, salty feta cheese, and zesty dressing that is bursting with citrus flavor makes this fresh salad taste like summer in a bowl. It’s a simple side dish that you want to add to your summer menu.
Table of Contents
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Bursting with ripe watermelon it’s the perfect side dish for summer potlucks.
- It’s the perfect balance of sweet and tangy which makes it a hit at parties.
- The bright colors make this salad a feast for the eyes and the stomach.
- Best of all, it comes together in just minutes with simple ingredients and easy prep work.
If you are looking for another delicious watermelon recipe you may also enjoy this Mediterranean Watermelon Salad recipe. This salad has a dressing that is made with balsamic vinegar which gives it a delicious blend of sweet and sour flavors.
You only need a couple of kitchen tools to help you make this delicious watermelon salad. Gather these tools and get ready to enjoy this fresh dish.
- Large bowl
- Small bowl
To make this fresh salad you will need a few simple ingredients. These ingredients can be easily found at your local grocery store or farmer’s market. That means that you don’t have to worry about driving to multiple stores to get the ingredients that you need.
- seedless watermelon – refrigerate before dicing. Do you have extra watermelon? Be sure to check out this Watermelon Margarita Cocktail too!
- English cucumber – keep the skin on. According to Healthline, the skin on the cucumber provides a variety of nutrients.
- feta cheese – purchase crumbled feta or crumble yourself from a block of feta.
- red onion
- fresh basil leaves
- fresh mint
- olive oil
- freshly squeezed lime juice
- minced garlic
- Salt and black pepper
How to Make This Watermelon Feta Mint Salad
Making this healthy salad is so simple. Just follow the step-by-step instructions below and you will have a delicious salad perfect as a side dish or main course in no time.
Step 1: Mix together the salad dressing
In a separate salad dressing bottle or small mixing bowl, shake or whisk the olive oil, lime juice, garlic, and salt and pepper for the dressing. Set aside.
Step 2: Mix the salad ingredients
In a large mixing bowl, fold together the watermelon, cucumber, sliced red onion, basil leaves, and fresh mint. Fold in the feta cheese.
Step 3: Dress the salad before serving
Just prior to serving, pour the dressing over the salad. Gently fold the ingredients together and serve.
What To Serve With This Dish
This salad is my favorite way to add a healthy side dish to our family grill nights. I like to pair it with a simple protein like this Grilled Ribeye Steak and these Grilled Globe Artichokes for the perfect balanced meal.
Substitutions and Additions
Do you want to personalize this delicious recipe? Here are a few of my favorite ways to change this recipe to suit your taste buds.
- Add more salty flavors with Kalamata olives.
- Switch out the feta for goat cheese if you prefer a milder flavor.
- Add in some fresh herbs for more of an herbaceous flavor.
- Scoop the watermelon with a cookie scoop forming small balls instead of dicing the watermelon for a different look.
- Use a small amount of balsamic glaze or red wine vinegar in the dressing for a little more flavor.
How To Store
This salad is best served immediately. However, you can store the watermelon and salad dressing separately in airtight containers in the fridge until you are ready to assemble.
Sandra’s Pro Tips
Here are a few tips to help ensure this recipe turns out perfectly for you every time that you make it.
- Cube the watermelon into bite-sized pieces or use a melon baller for ease.
- Cutting into a chilled watermelon will ensure your salad is cool and juicy.
- I prefer to tear the fresh mint leaves instead of chopping them because it helps intensify the flavor.
- The dressing can be made ahead and stored in the fridge to help you save time on assembly.
Do you have questions about this watermelon feta mint salad recipe? Here are the answers to the most commonly asked questions about this delicious salad.
The combination of sweet watermelon and tangy feta cheese creates a perfect balance that is truly delicious.
You can chop all the ingredients ahead, but I recommend that you do not assemble the salad until you are ready to serve it. You may also want to drain excess liquid from the watermelon before folding all the ingredients together.
When selecting a watermelon, choose one that is heavy for its size and has a firm rind. Additionally, look for the yellow spot on the bottom of the melon which is an indication that it is ripe.
Looking for a delicious way to cool down on a hot day? Be sure to add this Watermelon Feta Mint Salad Recipe to your summer menu plan
Other Delicious Salad Recipes You May Enjoy
Watermelon Feta Mint Salad
- 1 Large Mixing Bowl
- 1 Small mixing bowl or salad jar
- 1 cup English cucumber sliced and halved
- 3 cups watermelon diced
- 1 cup Feta cheese crumbled
- 1/2 cup Red onion thinly sliced, halved
- 1/4 cup basil leaves chopped
- 1/2 cup mint leaves chopped
- 2 Tablespoons Olive oil extra virgin
- 3 Tablespoons Lime juice about 1 1/2 limes
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic minced
- 1/8 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper or to taste
- In a seperate salad dressing bottle or small mixing bowl, shake or whisk the olive oil, lime juice, garlic, and salt and pepper for the dressing. Set aside.
- Fold together the diced watermelon, cucumber, sliced red onion, basil leaves and fresh mint in a large mixing bowl.
- Add crumbled feta cheese and fold into watermelon salad.
- Before serving, pour the dressing over the salad. Gently fold the ingredients together and serve.
Please note that the nutritional information provided are guidelines and may vary based on the brand of products used. For your specific nutritional goals use My Fitness Pal or Verywell Fit recipe calculators. All content within this site is not intended as medical diagnosis or treatment and should not be considered a substitute for professional medical expertise.