Unstuffed bell pepper casserole with cauliflower crumbles has all the classic flavors of a stuffed bell pepper, but this low carb no-fuss version is simply delicious and sure to be a family favorite meal!
Welcome to Freaky Friday Fall edition blog hop reveal! It’s time to introduce you to a fabulous recipe and blogger that is the creative force behind this unstuffed bell pepper casserole!
This must be about the 11th or 12th recipe I’ve shared through this this group of talented bloggers. The last recipe I shared was back in July when I introduced you to a New Zealand Bacon and Egg Pie.
Just in case you aren’t familiar with Freaky Friday blog hop, let me give you a quick run-down.
My friend Michaela over at An Affair From The Heart came up with the blog hop idea in the spirit of the Disney movie Freaky Friday where a mother and daughter swapped places to experience life in the other’s shoes!
This blog version mimics the same “change it up” premise. See, each blogger is secretly assigned to another site to make a recipe of their choice! Today we get to reveal our blogging buddy swap!
I hope you are already familiar with the page Who Needs A Cape? If not, you are in for a treat!
Lori is the social media manager behind the blog and we’ve been virtual friends for several years.
In fact, this General Tso’s Slow Cooker Chicken recipe is from one of the first FF event I participated in and it’s one of Lori’s recipes!
Lori also has a business partner, Heather that is super active with their page too, which they’ve expanded to include a travel section! You can read more about them on their “about” page. Take a moment to note how they met. Isn’t that cool?
You’ll find lots of kid friendly recipes over at Who Needs a Cape? like these Wormy Marshmallow Monsters as well as some of my favorite cocktails! Anyone care for a Strawberry Lime Boozy Cooler? <YES, PLEASE!>
My fingers kept lingering over this Stuffed Pepper Explosion recipe. I’ve never been a fan of stuffed peppers and without a good reason. I just don’t care for green peppers, which is typically the type of pepper that is used in stuffed pepper recipes.
When I looked at Lori’s recipe there wasn’t a green spec to be found. I knew my low carb version of her recipe Unstuffed Bell Pepper Casserole was the recipe to try!
We love the simplicity of the ingredients and have already made this dish several times. In fact, Alan has enjoyed it so much he’s ready for it again!
All the ingredients are chopped into small pieces instead of using it as a filling to put in a large pepper. I swapped the rice for cauliflower crumbles, which caters to my low carb diet. LOVE the nice full bodied texture that the cauliflower adds to this dish.
You can pulse cauliflower florets in a food processor, blender or chop with a knife, but I took a short cut and used cauliflower already prepared. Easy, delicious and did you notice the cheesy topping? YUM!
Grab the ingredients on your next grocery shopping trip. This tasty low carb meal just may become one of your favorite family meals too!
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil or butter
- 1 pound ground beef
- ½ cup onion, chopped
- 2 bell peppers, chopped
- 3 cups cauliflower crumbles
- 1 14 ounce can diced tomato (any variety)
- 2½ cups sharp cheddar, shredded (divided)
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly grease a 9" x 13" casserole dish and set aside.
- In a medium skillet saute onion with oil or butter.
- Add meat and cook until done. Drain excess fat (1-2 tablespoons left in pan is ok)
- Add chopped bell peppers to skillet over medium heat. Cover and let steam. Stir ingredients.
- Once pepper is soft, add oregano, garlic salt and pepper flakes (optional). Season with salt and pepper.
- Place in casserole dish and add cauliflower crumbles. Fold in 1½ cups of shredded cheese. Mix thoroughly. Cover with foil and place in the oven for 25 minutes.
- Remove foil and add remaining cheese. Place under and boil for 2-3 minutes.