Cheese and onion quiche is a great vegetarian addition to a brunch or lunch menu. The caramelized onion gives this dish lots of flavor! Feel free to use a pre-made crust or whip up a grain-free, low carb coconut flour pie crust.
Cheese and Onion Quiche
Every Christmas morning I make a breakfast dish that we can all enjoy while opening presents and sipping on coffee.
My go to casserole that I make often for lots of family gatherings is this Green Chili Frittata (I need to desperately update this post!). Everyone likes it and it’s vegetarian, so my daughter can enjoy it too!
This year I made this cheese and onion quiche. Boy was it delicious, so this quiche will be making an appearance often at our house!
Crust or no-crust quiche options
There are lots of options when preparing this quiche, including the type of crust to use.
If you or your guests are used to tasting and serving grain-free based crusts, then you’ll love the low carb crust.
If you are slowly transitioning to keto or low carb, then I would stick to the traditional style crust or feel free to make this quiche crustless!
Here are some other pie crust options:
Steps to make a quiche
Let’s make this baby!
First, you want to caramelize the onions to bring out all that delicious flavor!
The key to caramelizing onions is to be patient when cooking these. This step can’t be hurried, but you can get them as golden as you would like, but you need to watch them like a hawk!
Next, Prepare the crust or if you are opting for no crust make sure the pie pan is greased generously.
Whisk together the eggs and cream with the herbs and set aside.
To assemble the quiche we are layering half of the cooked onions, then half of the cheese. Repeat and cover with the egg and cream mixture.
Finally, bake until firm and nicely golden.
What To Serve With Cheese and Onion Quiche
- Strawberry Avocado Chicken Salad
- Chickpea Salad
- Summer Fruit Salad with Honey Lime Poppy Seed Dressing
- Garden Salad Recipe with Creamy Vinaigrette
- Honey Lemon Fruit Salad
- Greek Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette
Cheese and Onion Quiche | Crust or Crustless Option
- Pie crust
- 3 onions sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- pinch of nutmeg
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese
- Prepare crust in a 10″ tart pan and bake. If preparing crustless, generously grease a glass pie pan and set aside.
- In a large skillet add butter and oil and heat on medium-high. Add onion and cook until golden brown (this make take 15-20 minutes).
- In a large bowl whisk together eggs, cream, milk, salt & pepper, thyme and nutmeg.
- Add half of the onion to the prepared crust or pie plate. Top with half of the cheese and repeat. Top with egg/cream mixture and bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes or until the quiche is golden and the filling is just set.
- Let cool 10 minutes before slicing.
Please note that the nutritional information provided are guidelines and may vary based on the brand of products used. For your specific nutritional goals use My Fitness Pal or Verywell Fit recipe calculators. All content within this site is not intended as medical diagnosis or treatment and should not be considered a substitute for professional medical expertise.