Delectable ultimate chocolate cake with all the flavors of the Rocky Road candy bar; marshmallows and chocolate!
I’ve been making this chocolaty-chocolate cake for about five years now, but only for special occasions. I think my son is the one who requested a chocolate cake topped with Rocky Road candy bars for his birthday one year and again this year, so this has become his cake.
After experimenting with different chocolate cake recipes over the years, I now have the most flavorful, moist cake that has become my ‘go to’ recipe for chocolate cakes and cupcakes that I’m happy to share! This drool worthy cake is delicious, decadent, and divine!
There is a a hint of cinnamon adding to the rich chocolate flavor which really adds a nice taste to the cake. Between the layers there is chocolate frosting and just a bit of marshmallow fluff, and then we top this gorgeous baby with ganache and chopped pieces of Rocky Road Candy bars. Hello, little bites of heaven!
Each bite is very much worth every calorie, so run an extra mile or skip the glass of wine. Wait, scratch that. Don’t skip the wine because chocolate and wine is an amazing combination. Do what you need to do to enjoy this treat! Deal?!!
Rocky Road Cake
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup water, hot
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon, ground
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- Chocolate Frosting
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperture
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder, sifted
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- pinch of salt
- 3-4 tablespoons milk
- Chocolate Ganache
- 8 ounce semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 Rocky Road Candy Bars cut in small pieces for garnishing the top of the cake.
- 1 cup marshmallow fluff
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour two round 8 or 9" cake pans and set aside.
- Whisk together in a large bowl, flour, sugar, and cocoa. Add oil, eggs and milk. Mix all ingredients well. Add 1 cup of hot water, combining all ingredients. The batter will appear to be too watery. Don't be tempted to adjust. It will cook perfectly.
- Cook for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick placed in the center of the cake comes out clean. Cool cake completely.
- For Chocolate Frosting
- In a large bowl, whip butter and cocoa together until smooth. Stir in a pinch of salt, vanilla, and powdered sugar. Add milk one tablespoon at a time until frosting reaches desired consistency. Scrape sides and whip again until light, fluffy and smooth, 1-2 minutes.
- For Ganache
- Put cream in a small saucepan over medium heat and let it get to the point where it's almost boiling. Add the chocolate and let sit for about a minute. Turn down heat so it doesn't boil. Stir with a rubber spatula starting from the middle, extending to larger circles until the chocolate is melted, about 2 minutes. Let the ganache cool at room temperature.
- Assemble Cake
- Put first layer of cake on a platter or cake stand. Add a thin layer of chocolate frosting to the top, and then add a thin layer of the marshmallow fluff. Add the second cake layer and frost with chocolate frosting. Top with ganache and add rocky road candy bars.