Peanut Butter Chocolate Bars are similar to blondies, but these bar cookies have peanut butter chips and chocolate through the center of the bars. Easy dessert for any time you want a little sweet treat. These also pack up well and often my go-to treats to send in the mail.
Peanut Butter Chocolate Bars
Chocolate and peanut butter. They are mean’t to be together, you know that. I’ve paired them up before; Chocolate cupcakes with peanut butter frosting, chocolate peanut butter eggs, a late night snack of a spoonful of peanut butter topped with a few chocolate chips – uhh, yes, please and thank you!
These dense chewy bars aren’t overly sweet. There is just enough flavor from the peanut butter chips and swirl of chocolate. Perfect with a glass of milk or a warm cup of coffee or tea.
These are the bars I would send to my son during his first year in college. Right before summer break I would pack up a batch before finals. Definitely helps with taking tests, right?!
Why you should make these peanut butter cookie bars
- One pan easy recipe. No dropping or forming cookies in batches. All the batter is spread in one pan.
- Can be mailed easily. For the freshest delivery, wrap each bar in plastic wrap, then place in an air tight container. Add cushion like bubble wrap under, over and on the sides of the container.
- Not overly sweet. I cut the sweetener to just 1 1/2 cups from over 2 cups of sugar. The peanut butter chips and chocolate add more flavor, so you can taste all the flavors, not just the sugar. Want to lower the sugar even more? Use a sugar alternative like Lakanto monk fruit (affiliate).
To make these cookies you need basic baking ingredients like butter, eggs, flour sugar and an leavening agent.
This recipe is a basic cookie base recipe laced with peanut butter, peanut butter chips for extra deliciousness, and swirled with some melted semi-sweet chocolate. I know, crazy good.
Most items will be stock pantry ingredients. However, you may need to pick up the following:
- Peanut butter baking chips – if you can’t find them, then pick up butterscotch baking chips.
- Chocolate chips – use your favorite chocolate chips. I always have milk chocolate on hand. However, dark or even a sugar free chocolate will work well in this recipe.
Making cookie bars
For these cookie bars you will whisk together the butter, peanut butter, sugars, eggs, and vanilla until light and fluffy. Next, add the dry ingredients, and fold in the peanut butter chips.
Layer the batter and SWIRL in melted chocolate
The next step is what makes these cookie bars a little different. We layer the cookie dough. First, lightly spray a baking pan with non-stick cooking spray. Put half of the prepared cookie dough on the bottom of the pan spreading it evenly.
Melt the chocolate chips in the microwave or double boiler, then drizzle the chocolate over the cookie dough. You may want to place the chocolate in a piping bag to distribute on the cookie dough. For for a homemade piping bag, place the melted chocolate (cooled) in a small sandwich bag and snip one corner with scissors before drizzling over the cookie batter.
Finally, add the remaining cookie dough and spread over the chocolate layer. Take a sharp knife and swirl it through the batter to distribute the chocolate under the batter.
Bake in the oven and cool before slicing!
Go make a batch of these bars and send them to someone special for no reason at all! Every bite gets a mmmm comment and hello… what’s not to like, darling duo; peanut butter and chocolate!
How to store peanut butter chocolate bars
Keep these bars in an airtight container. This will remain fresh for up to two weeks.
How to freeze
Freeze for up to 6 months. To freeze, cool completely before placing the cookie bars in an air tight freezer container. If you are layering the bars, then place freezer paper or parchment paper between the layers. I like to use hard containers for cookie bars instead of freezer bags so that the bars don’t get smashed by other foods in the freezer.
More recipes with peanut butter and chocolate
Interested in more peanut butter recipes? Try these Peanut Butter Kiss Cookies from Epicurious.
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, solftened
- 1/3 cup creamy peanut butter
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 package (10 oz) peanut butter chips (Reese's)
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips melted (microwave until smooth. approximately a minute). Cool chocolate.
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F degrees. Coat a 13 x 9 x 2 baking pan with cooking spray.
- Beat butter and peanut butter in a large mixing bow. Add sugars, beating well.
- Add eggs one at a time until blended together. Add vanilla.
- Sift together flour, baking powder and salt. Add to the peanut butter mixture. Fold in peanut butter chips.
- Spread half of the batter on the bottom of the pan, spoon melted chocolate over the first layer of batter.
- Top with the remaining batter, carefully spreading it over the chocolate layer. Swirl batters together with a knife.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool and cut into bars.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 36 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 118Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 22mgSodium: 64mgCarbohydrates: 16gFiber: 1gSugar: 10gProtein: 2g
Please note that the nutritional information provided are guidelines and may vary based on the brand of products used. For your specific nutritional goals use My Fitness Pal or Verywell Fit recipe calculators. All content within this site is not intended as medical diagnosis or treatment and should not be considered a substitute for professional medical expertise.
This recipe was first shared May, 2013. It has been updated with new photos July 2021.
PIN TO YOUR SIDE DISH, APPETIZER AND SALSA BOARDS