Thai coconut soup is simple to make and bursting with flavor from the lemongrass and red curry sauce. Add a seafood melody to this Thai soup for a quick 30 minute meal.
Thai Coconut Soup
Finally! I am finally able to share this soup recipe! What has taken me so long?
Well, to be honest this is one of those soups that I make when we are crunched for time and want a tasty meal. Slurp, slurp it goes and usually there goes my opportunity to take photos.
This time I made a conscious effort to put some aside, so this can go on your meal rotation too!
When you think of Thai foods you may think that this is a difficult cuisine to master. Well, some Thai dishes may be, but this one simple and super flavorful!
I used to buy a pound and a half of shrimp for this soup, but for the past year I have purchased a seafood medley of calamari, scallops, muscles, and shrimp from the frozen seafood section at COSTCO. Super easy!
Ingredients For Seafood Thai Soup:
- chicken broth
- coconut milk
- fresh stalk of lemongrass
- red curry paste
- fish sauce
- seafood medley (I get mine from Costco)
- fresh lime juice
How To Make Thai Coconut Soup:
- Clean the fresh lemongrass by trimming the ends, then release the oil by pounding the stalk with a meat pounder.
- Slice the lemongrass into 3-inch pieces and set aside.
- In a stockpot add oil and over medium heat saute the lemongrass pieces with fresh ginger and red curry paste for about 1 minute.
- Pour in the chicken broth and and add the fish sauce. Simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Add in the coconut milk and stir until well combined.
- Add the seafood medley and simmer for about 5 minutes or until the shrimp is pink.
- Serve with a squeeze of fresh lime juice and chopped cilantro.
Can You Freeze Thai Coconut Soup?
Technically since this soup is not dairy based it will freeze fine, but I recommend eating this within 2-3 days of cooking. Once the seafood is cooked the texture and flavor changes
Is Thai Coconut Soup Keto Friendly?
Yes, this soup is made with healthy fats from the coconut milk and doesn’t not have a thickener, so this is gluten-free too!
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 lemongrass stalk, pounded and diced in 3-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon red curry paste
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, grated
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 3 cans (13.5 Ounce) coconut milk
- 2 pounds seafood medley
- limes and cilantro
- Add oil in a large stockpot and heat over medium-high. Add lemongrass and saute to release the lemon oil. Stir in the red curry paste and ginger and saute for about 1 minute.
- Pour in the chicken broth and add the fish sauce.
- Simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk and stir until warm and well combined, about 3 minutes.
- Add the seafood and cook for an additional 5 minutes or until the shrimp is light pink in color.
- Remove the lemongrass stocks (optional)
- Serve with fresh lime juice and chopped cilantro.
The seafood medley I use is purchased from Costco. You can use a a mix of your favorite types if you prefer.
Note: I like to leave the lemongrass stocks in the soup because it will continue to add more flavor. Just be sure to not serve in in a serving. The lemongrass stocks are fine to consume, but they are tough and hard to chew.
Adapted from Allrecipes
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 484Total Fat: 38gSaturated Fat: 29gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 94mgSodium: 1231mgCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 29g
Please note that the nutritional information provided are guidelines and may vary based on the brand of products used. For your specific nutritional goals use My Fitness Pal or Verywell Fit recipe calculators. All content within this site is not intended as medical diagnosis or treatment and should not be considered a substitute for professional medical expertise.
Craving More Soup Recipes?
You also might enjoy these recipes:
- Broccoli Cheese Soup – quick to make and tastes fantastic. It’s not overpowered with cheese, so rest assured you will get tons of your veggies in every bite.
- Instant Pot Chicken Soup – quick, simple, and nutritious Instant Pot Chicken Soup with chopped veggies. Mom approved belly warming soup to help beat the cold and flu season!
- Pozole Mexican Soup – made pork and hominy is a family favorite dish and often served during the holidays! Tried and true original from Nana herself!
- Cauliflower Soup – Vegan cauliflower soup will delight your tastebuds with flavorful spices like cumin, turmeric, cardamon with a sprinkle of red pepper to spice it up!