Give this broccoli cheese soup recipe a try! Easy to make and a fantastic way to eat your veggies! Serve the creamy for lunch or dinner!
Broccoli Cheese Soup Recipe
I bought a new kitchen gadget a couple of weeks ago and put it to good use over the weekend to make this broccoli cheese soup.
Do you have an immersion blender? Lucky you if so!
An immersion blender is basically a hand held blender that can be used in the pot you are cooking in to mix or puree the ingredients.
Without this handy tool you can still use a traditional blender, but you need to be careful when transferring hot ingredients out of the pot into the blender to puree.
Use an immersion blender for ease
It was super cool to stick the immersion blender right in my hot pot and puree the broccoli florets in a quick second without having to worry about scalding myself!
Once you try this technique you’ll wonder why you waiting so long to get that fancy-dancy immersion blender.
Ingredients for broccoli soup
Gather your ingredients to make this soup! I used fresh vegetables for this recipe.
- Broccoli, florets
- Garlic cloves
- Dry mustard powder
- Cayenne pepper
- Low-sodium chicken broth
- Sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- Parmesan cheese
Is broccoli cheese soup Keto?
As you see, the ingredients are super-clean and simple. Fresh vegetables and creamy cheese. There is no thickener in this dish, so this dish definitely passes as a low carb/keto recipe.
The carbs in this soup are natural from the broccoli and onion (which you can use onion powder if you prefer).
The only non-approved low carb ingredient would be the croutons if you add them to your bowl of soup.
Can you freeze soup with cheese?
You can freeze just about anything, but I don’t recommend freezing soups that are made with cheese or any dairy. The texture can change from creamy to grainy.
In addition, the color of the broccoli can change leaving you with a soup that has a brownish-hue.
In the mood for more vegetarian soups? Give these a try!
- Apple Butternut Squash Soup – made with fresh tangy apples and sweet squash. Simple ingredients for a delicious healthy soup!
- Minestrone Soup – thick healthy and delicious Minestrone Soup is packed with zucchini, green beans, tomatoes, carrots and beans, plus a unique pasta made from chickpeas!
- Spinach and White Bean Soup – hearty soup with orecchiette pasta that’s ready in 30 minutes!
- Tomato Basil Soup – easy to make and delicious year round.
- 2 Tablespoons butter, unsalted
- 2 pounds broccoli, florets roughly chopped into 1 inch pieces, and stems cut into 1/4 inch slices.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 pea spoon dry mustard powder
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- table salt
- 3-4 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups baby spinach, loosely packed
- 3/4 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 3/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated (extra for topping soup)
For a vegetarian option, substitute vegetable broth for the chicken broth.
If you don't have an immersion blender, transfer half of the soup to a blender with the cheese and puree. Place in a bowl and puree remaining soup. Transfer all ingredients back to Dutch oven and adjust consistency of soup with up to 1 cup of water.
Recipe from Cook’s Illustrated, March & April 2011
Please PIN to your SOUP or VEGETARIAN boards
This broccoli cheese soup is quick to make and tastes fantastic. It’s not overpowered with cheese, so rest assured you will get tons of your veggies in every bite.
I’m certain kids will like it too, especially if you call it sometime like monster mash or zombie fuel!