Vegan cauliflower soup will delight your tastebuds with flavorful spices like cumin, turmeric, cardamon with a sprinkle of red pepper to spice it up! Enjoy this creamy soup as a main meal or add as a starter to your menu!
Vegan Cauliflower Soup
The summer months are so unpredictable here in Pacific Grove, CA. We have a lot of sunny days year round, but the months of June and July when you expect the sun to to be brightest is actually thick with coastal fog. It seems to appear in the morning as I head out for work and then rolls back in when I return (sigh).
It’s the price you pay for living near the beach and after living on the Monterey Bay for over ten years, I’m still not completely tuned in with the fact that our summer months are filled with gray days. The gloom does burn off, but I can’t appreciate the glorious cool 70-75 degree breeze while I’m at the office!
I suppose that is why I’m craving the comfort of a warm bowl of soup! If you’re socked in with fog then evenings should include a good book and a bowl of this creamy cauliflower soup, ya think?!
Cauliflower soup recipe with lots of spices!
The list of ingredients for this recipe looks a little long, but don’t skimp on any of the spices. The flavors together are belly warming delicious, and it’s very easy to make! I had all the spices, even the turmeric and cardamom that gives this soup soup such a nice complex addition of flavor!
Have you noticed that I’m completely hooked on Cauliflower (Cauliflower Fried Rice, Cheesy Cauliflower Casserole, Low Carb Hamburger Casserole)? It’s such a healthy veggie full of fiber and Vitamin C and when you add it in soups it blends into a thick creamy base. When the flavors meld together you think you’re consuming a rich heavy cream based soup instead of a dairy-free nutritious meal!
I know some of you are rolling your eyes (I see you!) about my weather complaints! Some of you are sweltering in heat and can’t imagine cooking soup, but that too shall pass and you’ll want a healthy serving of this vegan cauliflower soup!
In fact, how about trying to keep cool with these summer soups:
Wear layers when visiting Monterey
I always feel a little bad for the tourists that try to escape the heat of the central valley and head toward the coast only to find that they actually need sweaters and long pants (always pack long sleeved shirts and a warm pull-over), so my final tip for you is to wait a bit before visiting Monterey Bay.
Perfect summer weather arrives in September and it’s glorious too because while the rest of California is begging for the cool weather to arrive, we get another couple of months of a mild breeze and bright sunshine!
I need to keep reminding myself that this gray weather will pass..
Vegan Cauliflower Soup
Full flavored cauliflower soup made without any dairy. This soup is delicious as a main meal or serve as a side dish.
- 1 TBL coconut oil
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
- Black pepper to taste
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 large cauliflower, chopped as evenly as possible
- 1 13.5 ounce coconut milk (from a can)
- 1 TBL apple cider vinegar
- In a large stock pot heat oil over medium low heat. Add onions, cumin, salt, turmeric, coriander, cardamom and pepper. Mix well and sauté until onions are soft and fragrant. Stir in the garlic.
- Add the broth and cauliflower pieces and bring to a boil over medium high heat, then reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes or until cauliflower is cooked through.
- Remove stock pot from heat and with an immersion blender mix until the ingredients are creamy.
- Return pot to stove and turn heat to simmer. Add the coconut milk and vinegar.
- Simmer until all the ingredient are incorporated. Serve with red pepper flakes for a little warm spice!