This homemade curry powder recipe is easy to make and so much better than store-bought! Made with a blend of warming spices, it’s perfect for adding flavor to all your favorite dishes. When it comes to curry powder, there are endless possibilities. Whether you like it mild or spicy, this versatile spice blend can be used in so many different ways.
If you enjoy making your own seasonings then next time give this homemade taco seasoning a try.
Table of Contents
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THIS RECIPE
Do you love curry but are intimidated by the number of ingredients? This recipe is for you! With only seven simple ingredients, this curry powder is easy to make and can be tweaked to your liking. Plus, it makes a great gift for any curry lover in your life.
- Making your own seasoning blends is cheaper than buying them at the store.
- Plus, you most likely already have these spices in your cabinet which can save you a trip to the grocery store.
- By making your own spice blends at home you can control the spice level, to adjust to your family’s taste buds.
- An easy way to add flavor without any additional carbs to your dishes.
- If you love Indian cuisine then this is a recipe that you are going to want to keep on hand.
You only need a few kitchen tools to help you make this homemade seasoning mix. Gather these tools and get ready to save some money by making your own spice mix.
- measuring cups
- small bowl
- glass container or mason jar
Here is a list of ingredients that you will need to make this easy homemade curry powder recipe. Most of these are pantry staples that home cooks should already have in their pantries. So, gather the following ingredients and get ready to make your favorite Indian dishes at home!
- Ground Coriander powder
- Cumin powder
- Ground Turmeric powder
- Cayenne pepper (for hot, less for milder)
- Smoked sweet paprika
- Ground ginger
- Chili powder
HOW TO MAKE THIS HOMEMADE CURRY POWDER RECIPE
Making this curry powder is simple. Just follow the instructions below and you will have a tasty homemade seasoning mix in no time at all.
Step 1: Add all the seasonings to a small bowl and mix
Add all seasoning ingredients to a small mixing bowl. Mix with a whisk.
Step 2: Store and enjoy
Store in an airtight container.
WAYS TO USE CURRY POWDER
This curry powder can be used in so many different ways! Here are some of our favorite recipes that feature this amazing spice blend.
- Air Fryer Curry Chicken Recipe
- Curry Chicken Salad
- Sweet Potato Soup with Coconut Milk
- Creamy Potato Curry Soup
- Thai Red Curry with Chicken
- Carrot Curry Soup
- Easy Vegetarian Curry Stir Fry
- Baked Salmon with Coconut Red Curry Sauce
- Tandoori Chicken
SUBSTITUTIONS AND ADDITIONS
Once you have the basic curry powder recipe down, feel free to experiment and add in other spices that you love. Some other common additions include:
- Fennel seeds
- Mustard seeds
- Ground cloves
- Cardamom powder
- Garam Masala
- Black or yellow mustard seeds
Want to make sure that your curry comes out perfectly? Here are some of the tips that I have for this recipe.
- If you want your own homemade spice blend to be a fine powder, you can grind it up in a spice grinder.
- Only have whole spices like coriander seeds on hand instead of ground spices? Use a mortar and pestle or coffee grinder in a pinch.
- Make sure all the spices are fresh. Spices should be replaced every year for the best tasting dishes.
- Add a dash of fresh cracked black peppercorns for additional flavor to this dish.
HOW TO STORE
Once you have mixed up your batch of flavorful curry powder, store it in an airtight container. I like to keep mine in a glass mason jar. This spice blend will stay fresh for up to 6 months when stored in a cool dark place.
Do you have questions about this homemade curry powder? Here are the answers to the most commonly asked questions about this yellow curry powder recipe.
Curry powder is a blend of spices, so there really isn’t one key ingredient. That being said, turmeric is usually the dominant flavor in curry powder. Other common ingredients include cumin, coriander, and chili pepper.
Turmeric is an essential ingredient that gives curry powder its characteristic yellow color, but it also adds a unique flavor. If you don’t have turmeric on hand, you can leave it out of the recipe. The curry powder will be paler in color and will have a different flavor but you may still enjoy the mix of spices in your own curry powder blend.
This recipe makes a mild curry, however, if you like your curry powder on the spicier side, you can add more cayenne pepper, crushed red pepper flakes, or chili powder to the mix. Start with a little bit and add more to taste.
OTHER DELICIOUS SEASONING RECIPES YOU MAY ENJOY
Curry Powder Recipe
- 2 Tablespoons Coriander ground
- 1 Tablespoon Cumin ground
- 1 Tablespoon Turmeric ground
- 1 teaspoon Cayenne powder for hot, less for milder
- 1 Tablespoon smoked sweet paprika
- ½ teaspoon Ginger ground
- 1 teaspoon Chili powder
- In a small mixing bowl add all the spices; coriander, cumin, turmeric, cayenne, paprika, ginger and chili.
- Whisk ingredients together until thoroughly mixed.
- Place in an airtight container with a lid.
Please note that the nutritional information provided are guidelines and may vary based on the brand of products used. For your specific nutritional goals use My Fitness Pal or Verywell Fit recipe calculators. All content within this site is not intended as medical diagnosis or treatment and should not be considered a substitute for professional medical expertise.