Hearty pressure cooker beef stew made with carrots, potatoes, and onion cooked in beef stock and red wine cooks in 35 minutes!
Pressure Cooker Beef Stew
Have you jumped on the pressure cooker bandwagon? I finally picked up an Instant Pot and I LOVE it! It’s the coolest kitchen toy EVER! I know, I know, you already have a slow cooker, and so do I.
The difference is you will get slow cooked meal results in about a quarter of the time it takes to cook dishes in the oven, stovetop or slow cooker. Seriously, it’s so cool!
We’ve tested boiled eggs, which were perfectly cooked in just 10 minutes (5 minutes to pressurize and another 5 to cook). Next, I tried my Kalua Pork Slow Cooked Recipe, a simple meal that typically takes 5-6 hours to cook.
Guess how many minutes it took to make in an Instant Pot? An hour, 60 minutes!
Old-fashioned beef stew recipe is ready in 35 minutes!
The traditional method when making a stew takes hours for the meat to tenderize. The exact same tender results will only take 35 minutes in a pressure cooker!
There is another feature that I think is worth mentioning. The Instant Pot has a sauté mode, so you can brown meats in the pot, truly using just one pot to cook a complete meal!
Pressure cooker stew – chop/dice meat and vegetables, sauté , then pressurize!
For this recipe the meat isn’t dredged in flour. Simply brown the chunks of meat in some oil. Don’t crowd the beef by cooking it all at once either.
First, season the beef with salt and pepper, and then sauté in 2-3 batches. Once all of the beef is browned then return the meat to the pot.
At this point you will have some caramelized pieces on the bottom of the pot. Add a little broth or wine and scrape it up with a wooden spoon.
Next add the veggies and the remaining beef broth, wine and spices, then press the meat/stew button. Step away and go ahead and pour yourself a glass of wine.
Beef Stew Pressure Cooker
- 2 pounds beef stew meat cut in 1 inch pieces seasoned with salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 2 medium potatoes peeled and diced in 1 inch pieces
- 1 medium onion peeled and chopped
- 4 garlic gloves minced
- 5 medium carrots cut in 1 inch pieces
- 3 cups beef stock or broth
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 6 ounce tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon Herbs de Provence blend
- 2 bay leaves
- Salt and pepper
- Turn Instant Pot to Saute mode. Add oil and brown meat in a single layer. Brown on all sides in batches if necessary and add more oil if needed.
- Add all ingredients to the Instant Pot and gently stir. Cover, lock pot and move valve to steam. Push the meat/stew mode button. The automatic timer is set for 35 minutes. Once done, the pressure will gently release unlocking the pot. Gently remove, stir, and season with salt and pepper.
Please note that the nutritional information provided are guidelines and may vary based on the brand of products used. For your specific nutritional goals use My Fitness Pal or Verywell Fit recipe calculators. All content within this site is not intended as medical diagnosis or treatment and should not be considered a substitute for professional medical expertise.