Bacon Wrapped Cheese Stuffed Chicken with RAGÚ Homestyle Thick & Hearty Traditional Pasta Sauce! This easy 30 minute recipe is a family favorite meal.
Bacon Wrapped Chicken
Yay! I’m back on track, guys!
Who knew that taking a break from cooking during Mother’s Day weekend would completely rearrange my cooking, writing and photographing schedule?!
Now I realize how tight my schedule is, and I get a heck of a lot done during my weekends!
This recipe will make up for my lack of recipes last week. Not only is this meal delicious, but it’s easy to make too!
Incorporated in this dish is a new product line I just learned about, RAGÚ Homestyle Sauces!
Easy 30 Minute Meal
Simple ingredients are in the sauce, which makes this super convenient to have on hand.
Not only is the sauce tasty, but having it ready to go cuts down on the meal prep time!
For this recipe, we add a dollop of pasta sauce right in the middle of each wrapped chicken thigh.
Also serve extra sauce on the side as a dipping sauce!
There is just the right amount of flavor from the herbs, so no tweaking the sauce is necessary!
Freeze The Pasta Sauce
Portion out a tablespoon of pasta sauce for each piece of chicken and freeze them into disks.
This step helps keep the ingredients together when rolling them in bundles.
Using a pre-made pasta sauce is such a time saver, especially when cooking during the week!
Thick & Hearty Traditional pasta sauce is used for this recipe, but there are 6 different other flavors that would be just as tasty!
How To Wrap The Chicken
- Set up an assembly line of the cheese, pasta sauce and chicken.
- Put 8 slices of bacon in the oven to partially cook. This step softens the bacon making it easier to roll around the chicken
- On a flat surface open each chicken thigh and add a piece of cheese and a disk of the frozen sauce.
- Gently roll each chicken together with 1 or two slices of bacon. Secure with toothpicks.
- Place each bundle in a cast iron skillet and cook the bacon to a nice caramel brown.
- Rotate the chicken so the bacon is evenly cooked.
- Put the skillet in the oven to finish cooking the meat.
- Cook for about 25 minutes.
Rotate the chicken so the bacon is evenly cooked, then put the skillet in the oven to finish cooking the meat.
What to Serve with Bacon Wrapped Chicken
Don’t forget to serve extra pasta sauce on the side so you can dip each piece into more flavorful sauce!
The chicken is filling, so pair it with a light vegetable like fresh green beans or one of the following:
- Mock Mashed Potatoes : low carb cauliflower dish that tastes like mashed potatoes!
- Low Carb Potato Salad : If you love the mock cauliflower, then you also enjoy this cauliflower low carb “potato” salad.
- Cabbage Salad Recipe: Sweet and tangy flavors with a homemade balsamic dressing.
- Green Bean Potato Salad: Simple salad with balsamic dijon dressing. Serve this salad at room temperature.
Stuffed chicken is protein packed and filling.
The flavors are so delicious together, so don’t be surprised if you go back for seconds!
- 4-6 chicken thighs, skinless and butterflied for stuffing
- 1 jar Ragu Homestyle Thick & Hearty Traditional Pasta Sauce
- 4-6 slices, Monterey Jack cheese
- 8-12 bacon slices
Line a plate with parchment paper and for each serving place 1 heaping tablespoon of pasta sauce on the prepared parchment lined plate. Place in the freezer for 20-30 minutes.
Place bacon slices on a foil lined baking sheet and put in a cold oven. Turn oven to 425 degrees and cook bacon for 10 minutes or until half cooked. Remove from oven and carefully place each piece on paper towels to drain grease.
Season chicken with salt and pepper to taste. Assemble chicken by placing a piece of cheese and frozen pasta sauce in the middle of the chicken thigh (if pieces are small use two for each serving). Gently roll and secure with toothpicks if necessary. Carefully wrap 2-3 slices of bacon around chicken and secure with toothpicks.
Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees.
Place wrapped chicken in an oven proof skillet (cast iron) over medium-high heat and cook rotating the chicken so the bacon is cooked evenly.
Place skillet in oven and bake for 20-25 minutes or until chicken is thoroughly cooked. Serve immediately and don't forget to remove the toothpicks!
Serving Size:1 thigh
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 427 Total Fat: 26g Saturated Fat: 11g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 15g Cholesterol: 185mg Sodium: 968mg Carbohydrates: 5g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 2g Protein: 43g
This dish comes together quickly!
Step by step view on how to make a quick delicious family favorite meal!