A nutritious way to enjoy a sandwich! Turkey Meatball Subs are a perfect mid-week meal filled with homemade sauce and baked meatballs, then topped with melted cheese. You may need to use a fork and knife!
Table of Contents
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THIS RECIPE
These Turkey Meatball Subs can be on your table in 25 minutes! Yes, it’s true! You already did all the work when you made Turkey Meatballs from this post! Now we’re turning those meatballs into a completely different dish. Leftovers never tasted so good!
- Sandwiches are great for busy nights when everyone has a different schedule. Everyone can assemble their sub when it fits their schedule.
- Hearty turkey sub sandwich will keep you satisfied. This meal has the mix of protein and carbohydrates that stick to your ribs and you won’t be hungry for several hours. Perfect for growing kids!
- Great for entertaining! Not only great for mid-week, but these subs are handy for a main dish for a party. Everyone can assemble their own sub, making it easy for the host to enjoy their company.
INGREDIENTS YOU’LL NEED TO MAKE TURKEY MEATBALL SUBS
If you haven’t made the meatballs in advance, then you’ll need to make them. Here are the ingredients.
- plain breadcrumbs
- parmesan cheese
- Fresh basil
- Fresh Italian parsley
- tomato paste
- kosher salt
- black pepper, ground
- garlic cloves
- small onion
- ground dark turkey meat
- Italian turkey sausage
Homemade marinara sauce is the best and worth making it yourself. However, feel free to use your favorite jarred sauce if you prefer.
- olive oil
- garlic cloves
- 1 medium onion chopped finely
- ground black pepper
- Fresh basil
- ground fennel seeds
- dried oregano
- crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup red wine (optional)
Sub rolls and cheese
HOW TO MAKE SUB SANDWICHES
STEP 1: MAKE THE SAUCE
If you are making the homemade sauce, saute the onions until translucent, then add the garlic and season with salt and pepper. Add the basil, fennel, oregano and tomatoes. Simmer.
STEP 2: Prepare the meatballs
Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line a cookie sheet with foil and lightly spray with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
For the meatballs, in a large bowl blend together the breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese, basil, parsley, milk, tomato paste, salt, pepper, eggs, garlic and onions. Add the turkey meat and sausage gently mixing into the breadcrumb mix with your fingers until combined.
Form the meat mixture into 1 1/2-inch balls (approximately 24). Place meatballs on prepared baking sheet and drizzle olive oil on top. Bake until cooked for 12-15 minutes.
Once cooked add to sauce with the wine (if using).
ASSEMBLE THE TURKEY MEATBALL SUBS
To assemble the subs, first prepare the rolls by lightly coating them with olive oil, then broil to toast (watch closely so they don’t burn).
If the meatballs are already in the marinara sauce, made sure they are warm before placing 3 meatballs in the center of the sub roll.
Add cheese, then place under a broiler and broil just until the cheese has melted. Enjoy!
Meals that are quick and tasty are a must for us during the week, even when a meal is for the two of us. This Turkey Meatball Sub works out well because when I made the meatballs I froze half of them so I could use them for this sandwich.
When you’re limited on time, but still want a great meal, keep this recipe in mind!
MORE MEATBALL RECIPES TO TRY
If you love what you see here, then you will want to check out these recipes too!
- Cheese Stuffed Meatballs with a creamy tomato sauce. These make a great hearty appetizer or light lunch.
- Slow Cooked Meatballs in chipotle sauce adding a little spice to these meatballs.
- Turkey Meatballs with vegetables keeping the turkey from drying out.
- Swedish Meatballs in a gravy sauce. A classic you will want to make monthly.
Turkey Meatball Subs
- Pre-heat oven to 400°F degrees. Line a cookie sheet with foil and lightly coat with cooking spray.
- Place prepared meatballs on the cookie sheet and cook for 12-15 minutes.
- Prepare marinara sauce and set aside.
- On a separate cookie sheet open sub rolls and lightly brush with olive oil. Toast under a broiler until it get a little crispy..
- Place three cooked meatballs in each roll, top with sauce, then add cheese. Broil about 1 minute or just until the cheese melts. Top with more sauce if desired.
Please note that the nutritional information provided are guidelines and may vary based on the brand of products used. For your specific nutritional goals use My Fitness Pal or Verywell Fit recipe calculators. All content within this site is not intended as medical diagnosis or treatment and should not be considered a substitute for professional medical expertise.