This delicious Mango Blueberry Bread Pudding can be served a variety of ways. Enjoy either hot or cold and top with fresh whipped cream, vanilla ice cream or homemade blueberry sauce.
Bread pudding is what you make when you forget that you bought a loaf of bread to serve with dinner! Do you ever do that? I guess we didn’t need it when I made this Citrus Piccata Chicken after all, but it always smells so good fresh from the bakery and I was probably hungry while shopping. The diet experts say not to do that. I’m sure you’ve heard the advice before – don’t go grocery shopping while your stomach is growling because you’ll end up purchasing items you wouldn’t normally buy. Oh, and stay on the outside perimeter of the store where all the fresh foods are displayed.
No where in my grocery store will you find bread pudding, and I bet it’s not regularly stocked in your store either! You’ll have to make this at home and boy is it tasty! I paired blueberries and mangos together for this tasty delight. I was going to use peaches, but they’re super expensive right now! Frozen mango chunks were the perfect substitution!
I made this right before leaving for Portland, Oregon this past weekend. I went to a conference for food bloggers called Indulge. It was my first off site event outside of my own kitchen and office, and now I think I’m hooked and want to go to more events like that! It was a great opportunity to collaborate with brands, meet your online pals, and learn some new tips! I didn’t bring my camera, but I did take a couple of photos from my phone that I shared on my Instagram account. I’ll have to post a couple of more photos with the gals I met up with!
I’m pretty certain Alan didn’t survive on this Mango Blueberry Bread Pudding since I saw empty pizza boxes in the trash! I left him a good portion and I also took some ramekins to my parents before flying out. I wish I had a video tape of my mom enjoying her dessert while my dad was on the phone trying to work through a help desk cell phone issue. He had the WHAT THE…look on his face with sad eyes and disbelief! He was trying to pay attention to the person on the phone, but his facial expressions said it all, “how could you eat that while I’m stuck listening to customer service!” Both my mom and I were laughing.
Serve this warm or cold, top it with whipped cream, ice cream or homemade blueberry sauce!
Mango Blueberry Bread Pudding
- 1 pound load french bread, cut into 3/4 inch cubes
- 3 large eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 3 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1 1/2 cups mango chunks (I used frozen)
- 1/2 cups butter, cut in small chunks
- 3 tablespoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease a 9 x 13 baking dish or ramekins dishes (I used a combination of both; 4 ramekins and 10 x 7 casserole dish)
- In a large colander place cut up bread in it and evenly pour 4 cups of hot water over the bread. Let sit for 5 minutes. Gently press excess water out of the bread.
- In a large bowl whisk together eggs, milk, vanilla, sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. Gently fold in bread, blueberries and mangos. Pour into baking dish. Drip butter pieces evenly over the top. In a small bowl whisk together remaining cinnamon and nutmeg. Sprinkle over bread budding. Bake of at least 3o minutes (ramekins) and up for 1 hour for a large casserole baking dish. Tooth pick inserted in the middle should come out clean.
- Serve hot or cold and top with whipped cream, ice cream or blueberry sauce.