Macadamia Nut Pancakes with Coconut Syrup
Fluffy pancakes with crunchy macadamia nut pieces topped with a flavorful homemade coconut syrup!
Macadamia Nut Pancakes And Food Memories
Are there certain foods and places that evoke memories for you?
They do for me!
Whenever I see a bottle of burgundy wine, I can practically smell my mom’s stew that she made every winter while growing up.
Cheesecake takes me back to my first homemade dessert that I made from scratch as a newlywed.
By the way, don’t ever describe a cheesecake as tasting eggy, because it may be a decade before it’s made again! haha-true!
Prosecco whisks me to Italy where I had my first glass of the sparkling wine.
Macadamia Nut Pancakes with Coconut Syrup brings me to the tropical island of Hawaii!
Pancake Recipe From Hawaii
I’ve mentioned before that as a military family we were able to spend about eight years in Hawaii, and how special the island has been for us.
I talked about our neighborhood happy hours and shared a watermelon margarita.
I also told you our son spent his Freshman year at the University of Hawaii, which btw was not a good fit for him, and he’s back at our local college.
Pancakes. Back to delicious pancakes.
Heather at Sugar Dish Me reminded me about the popular macadamia nut pancakes Hawaii has to offer when she shared a Toasted Coconut and Macadamia Nut Pancake recipe.
If you haven’t visited Heather’s website, grab a cup of coffee and visit for awhile.
She has lots of yummy recipes I know you’ll love.
I couldn’t stop thinking about how much I enjoyed going to breakfast in Hawaii and ordering either a Loco Moco or Macadamia Nut Pancakes with Coconut Syrup. T
he pancakes are so popular several companies like Hawaiian Sun sell pre-packaged mixes and syrups for the tourists to take home!
Macadamia Nut Pancakes with Coconut Syrup
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil melted and cooled
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup macadamia nuts coarsely chopped and toasted (extra for garnish)
- 1 can coconut milk in a can
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons arrowroot or cornstarch
- 1 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon coconut extract optional
- 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut flakes toasted
- In a small skillet toast nuts on medium heat until lightly browned. Remove and set aside to cool. Spray griddle or large skillet pan with non-stick cooking spray or grease with butter. Heat pans on medium.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flours, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In a separate bowl whisk buttermilk, eggs, cooled coconut oil and vanilla extract together. Add the liquid to the flour mixture, stirring until moistened. Fold in macadamia nuts Don’t beat or over mix. Drop about a 1/4 cup of batter onto prepared heated pan and cook until bubbles begin to form on the edge of the pancakes or until golden brown (about 2 minutes). Flip the pancakes and continue to cook for another 2 minutes. Keep warm in oven until ready to serve.
- Coconut Syrup
- Toast coconut flakes in a small skillet over medium heat until lightly browned. Remove from skillet and set aside to cool. In a medium saucepan on medium heat add coconut milk and sugar. Stir until sugar has melted completely. Turn heat to low and add arrowroot or cornstarch stirring until the syrup begins to thicken (3-5 minutes). Turn off heat and add extracts and coconut flakes. Serve over pancakes.
For sugar-free coconut syrup, replace the granulated sugar with xylitol.
Please note that the nutritional information provided are guidelines and may vary based on the brand of products used. For your specific nutritional goals use My Fitness Pal or Verywell Fit recipe calculators. All content within this site is not intended as medical diagnosis or treatment and should not be considered a substitute for professional medical expertise.
Well, although I’m certain you would love to take a trip to Hawaii to try these delicious pancakes, don’t wait for the trip!
You can whip up a batch of the syrup and pancakes right in your own kitchen!
Turn on some Hawaiian music like Hawaiian 105 KINE , make these pancakes, and remember where you took your first bite of thisonolicious
(slang for delicious) meal.
Macadamia nuts are native to Australia and I’ve never heard of macadamia pancakes? Yum.
Oh, lucky to have plenty of Macadamia nuts available! Just a little addition adds a lot of flavor to these pancakes 🙂
Hi Sandra… I love your recipes… is it alright to share to my timeline if i just post the pic and the link that brings folks to your recipe and blog… I will NOT post the recipe it’s self… Just the pic and the link… Please let me know… Thanks… <3 Lynn
Hi Lynn! Yes, that is the perfect way to share. Thank you!!
I ived in a tropical country but never even taste the coconut syrup, what a shame…
i guess this macadamian nuts pancake is just perfect to starting a day….
The pancakes are a treat! Extra special with coconut syrup 🙂
I feel like I am in Hawaii… just reading your recipe. Great weekend breakfast like an escape to the tropics.
Indeed 🙂 Thanks for stopping by!!
Just need a slice of spam to complete the meal 😉
Love macadamia nuts so I know this pancake will be a favorite. I can see using your coconut syrup on French toast.
The syrup would be tasty on French toast too! I’ll have to try it 🙂
So pretty Sandra!!! Love the coconut syrup! Isn’t it funny how food can remind you of things? Thanks so much for the lovely mention and I’m glad I inspired a happy food memory!
Thanks, Heather! It’s great to know food bloggers that give inspiration when least expected! This is one of those meals I couldn’t stop thinking about until I made it happen! Keep on, keep on 🙂