Keto Fried Chicken is the ultimate in comfort food for those following a low-carb lifestyle. Delicious moist chicken pieces with perfect seasoning and the crunch of pork rinds giving you the crispy texture you dream of, this is going to become a regular meal in your menu plan.
Keto Fried Chicken
I love fried chicken. There is no other way to state it. That first bite into a piping hot piece of chicken with the crispy coating is one of the ultimate comfort-food moments in life.
Going on a low-carb or keto diet doesn’t mean you have to give that up. My keto fried chicken recipe is truly a favorite that everyone is going to clamor to grab off the serving platter.
The combination of classic chicken seasonings and ground pork rinds for crunch turns an otherwise boring piece of chicken into a meal everyone will enjoy at the dinner table.
Can I Use Flavored Pork Rinds To Coat Chicken?
If you want to add even more flavor to your chicken recipe, you can definitely grab those flavored pork rinds instead of classic.
Barbecue flavor would be great for those who want that barbecue chicken flavor without the sugar. I often pick up chili lime pork rinds for snacking, and think those would be a whole other amazing flavor to try.
While the spice blend I include in this recipe is my favorite, you can definitely adjust if you want to use a flavored pork rind for your coating.
Replace the thyme with a bit of chili powder to go with the barbecue flavor or with cumin for the chili lime pork rinds.
Tip: If you want to dip your chicken, you might like this low-carb bbq sauce recipe.
Can I Deep Fry This Keto Fried Chicken Using Pork Rinds?
While deep frying is okay on the keto diet, it’s still a very messy process that isn’t the healthiest use of your fats for the day. If you want to deep fry this, you definitely can. Just watch carefully to make sure your coating doesn’t burn.
Tip: If deep frying, you can par boil your chicken before coating to make sure that it cooks through without burning the pork rind coating.
Another option for making these and getting that crunch is to use your air fryer to make the fried chicken pieces extra crispy.
What Keto Sides Can I Serve With This Chicken?
There is a difference between low carb and keto, so depending on the macros you are aiming for each day, some of the suggestions below may not work for your needs. Remember to always use our macro calculator tool when you start out to make sure you know what you should be eating.
- Low Carb Potato Salad with Cauliflower
- Steamed or roasted broccoli, cauliflower, green beans, or asparagus
- Butternut Squash “fries”
- Sauteed zucchini or squash (cook in bacon for extra flavor)
- Whipped cream with berries
- Sugar-Free Chocolate Chip Dip with Cream Cheese
- Low-Carb No Bake Cream Pie with Peaches
- Strawberry Shortcake using whipped cream and our low-carb baking mix for the “cake”
How Do You Reheat Keto Fried Chicken?
I love grabbing a drumstick out of the refrigerator and eat it cold, but you may prefer to eat the chicken hot.
If that is the case, the best way to reheat this recipe and keep the coating crunchy is to pop onto a baking sheet and place in the oven for 5-10 minutes at 375F or until heated through.
You could also pop these into your air fryer for 10 minutes at 375 to crisp and heat through.
- 2 pounds chicken thighs or breasts
- 1 cup pork rinds, finely crushed
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
- Line a cookie sheet with aluminum foil and add a wire rack
- Spray rack slightly with non-stick cooking spray
- Crush the pork rinds and add to medium flat bowl
- Stir in spices, salt and pepper
- In another bowl, whisk together eggs and mayonnaise
- Dip chicken into the egg mixture, then dip into dry mixture until evenly coated
- Place chicken on a wire rack
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or internal temperature of chicken reaches 165 degrees
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 617Total Fat: 41gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 29gCholesterol: 394mgSodium: 1149mgCarbohydrates: 2gFiber: 1gSugar: 0gProtein: 62g
Please note that the nutritional information provided are guidelines and may vary based on the brand of products used. For your specific nutritional goals use My Fitness Pal or Verywell Fit recipe calculators. All content within this site is not intended as medical diagnosis or treatment and should not be considered a substitute for professional medical expertise.