Easy Green Goddess Dressing Recipe
If you’re looking for a delicious and healthy way to dress your salad, you need to try this easy Green Goddess Dressing recipe. It only takes a few minutes to make, and it’s packed with flavor. The dressing is made with avocado, garlic, olive oil, yogurt, and herbs. It’s perfect for any type of salad, and it’s also great as a dip.
This tangy dressing was invented in the early 1920s by a chef of the Palace Hotel, for an event honoring the actor George Arliss. I doubt the chef knew how popular this homemade salad dressing would become, and that everyone would make it their own, including me! This version is made without mayonnaise or sour cream.
There’s a reason why green goddess dressing is named as such – it’s downright heavenly. This tantalizing dressing is perfect for salads, sandwiches, and even dipping sauces. Plus, it’s super easy to make at home. So get your taste buds ready for the best green goddess dressing ever!
You might also enjoy this Southwestern Black Bean and Corn Salad recipe.
Table of Contents
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THIS RECIPE?
Do you know the feeling you get when you eat something so good, you wish you could bottle it up and keep it all to yourself? That’s how I feel about green goddess dressing. It’s light, refreshing, and has a nice tang—just perfect for summer. Plus, it’s really easy to make at home and it’s such a versatile dressing.
- This tasty salad recipe is healthy and easy to make.
- Delicious and creamy dressing for salads or sandwiches.
- Great to make ahead and store in the fridge for meal prep for the week.
You only need a few kitchen tools to help make your own dressings at home like this healthy green goddess dressing.
- food processor or blender
- measuring cups
- measuring spoons
- airtight container for storing
This homemade green goddess dressing only requires simple ingredients with lots of fresh herbs. If you have a herb garden you get lucky and already have most of these fresh ingredients growing in your backyard.
- plain yogurt
- olive oil
- red wine vinegar
- lime juice
- fresh baby spinach
- fresh chives
- fresh parsley
- green onions, trimmed
- garlic cloves
- fresh basil leaves
- Ground black pepper
HOW TO MAKE THIS
This delicious salad comes together in just a few simple steps and is full of lots of green herbs. Even if your family is not low carb they will still love this dressing the first time they try it.
STEP 1: MIX THE DRESSING
Place all ingredients into the bowl of a food processor or blender and whirl until evenly mixed
STEP 2: ADJUST THE SEASONINGS
Adjust salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
STEP 3: CHILL
Place in an airtight container and store in the fridge until ready to use.
HOW TO USE GREEN GODDESS DRESSING
Are you wondering what is the best way to use this delicious homemade dressing? Here is a list of my favorite uses.
- This recipe makes for a great veggie dip for fresh produce.
- This dressing can pull double duty and also work as a spread for your favorite sandwiches and wraps. Low carb tortilla wraps with turkey, cheese, loaded with greens and this dressing is lip smacking delicious!
- This dressing is the star of this Green Goddess Salad recipe!
SUBSTITUTIONS AND ADDITIONS
- To make vegan green goddess dressing switch out the greek yogurt for your favorite dairy-free yogurt for a creamy base or even cashew cream for a dreamy texture.
- Add sour cream in place of the yogurt for an extra creamy texture.
- Anchovy fillets or a touch of anchovy paste is a great way to add more flavor to this homemade dressing.
- A squeeze of lemon juice will add a nice tang to the salad ingredients.
- White wine vinegar can be used in place of red wine vinegar in a pinch.
- Fresh tarragon would add a rich flavor to this green goddess salad dressing recipe.
- If you enjoy a thinner dressing, a little water until you get the consistency that you enjoy.
HOW TO STORE
Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 1 week.
Do you have questions about this homemade dressing? Here are the answers to the most commonly asked questions.
It has a light, tangy flavor with hints of garlic and herbs.
Avocado, garlic, olive oil, yogurt, and herbs.
This easy dressing was invented in 1923 by the chef of the Palace Hotel in San Francisco.
You can use this dressing for potato salad, sandwich spread, vegetable dip, or even for chicken salad.
OTHER DELICIOUS DRESSING RECIPES YOU MAY ENJOY
- Taco Salad with Creamy Cilantro Dressing
- Asian Dressing for Salad Recipe
- Poppy Seed Dressing Lightened Up Over Greens
- Healthy Chinese Chicken Salad with Peanut Dressing
Hope you find some creative and delicious ways to enjoy this green goddess dressing! I think you’ll love making individual portions of vegetables with dip to enjoy as a snack. It’s also a great way to flavor a vegetable panini sandwich!
Easy Green Goddess Dressing Recipe
- ½ cup plain yogurt
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ½ of an avocado
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 cup packed fresh baby spinach
- ¼ cup fresh chives
- ¼ cup fresh parsley
- 3 green onions trimmed (greens and white part)
- 2 cloves garlic
- ¼ cup fresh basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Ground black pepper to taste
- Place yogurt, olive oil, avocado, lime juice, spinach, chives, parsley, green onions, garlic, basil and salt in a food processor or blender.
- Cover with the lid and pulse 3-4 times or until the ingredients are chopped and well incorporated. Add additional water if needed one teaspoon at a time.
- Remove from processor or blender and season with pepper before placing in an airtight container.
Please note that the nutritional information provided are guidelines and may vary based on the brand of products used. For your specific nutritional goals use My Fitness Pal or Verywell Fit recipe calculators. All content within this site is not intended as medical diagnosis or treatment and should not be considered a substitute for professional medical expertise.
PIN TO YOUR RECIPE BOARDS