Coconut banana bread with flakes of shredded coconut and a splash of dark rum are added for a little burst of flavor! This quick bread is a great snack, breakfast or addition to brunch menu.
Coconut Banana Bread
I haven’t made banana bread in quite awhile.
Lately, bananas that get to the point of looking slightly overripe have been peeled, cut in half, and put right into the freezer to be used for smoothies.
The three super ripe bananas that were sitting on my kitchen counter were just about to be frozen to their goodness.
Instead I made this tender loaf of Coconut Banana Bread!
Coconut bread recipe lightened up!
If you’re looking for a little flare to a basic banana bread recipe, this one is excellent!
The recipe is modified from Cooking Light (2003), and has become a family favorite!
I’m not sure this loaf has trumped my regular banana bread because it has coconut or if the splash of dark RUM that takes it to the top.
I have a good guess 😉 Really though, once you start adding layers of flavor, it’s hard to go back to the standard banana bread.
Banana Bread With Greek Yogurt
I changed the original recipe just a bit by substituting some granulated sugar for brown, and using Greek yogurt (I love that stuff).
The bread is tender and light, as in lower calories, which is always a bonus in my book.
Looking for a way to entice sleepy head out of their slumber?
Thirty minutes after putting this into the oven, you’ll start to hear some rumblings…..”Mmmm, what are you baking?!!”
Can I Use Light Rum?
For this recipe I would stick with the dark rum. Dark rum has a richer flavor which compliments the ingredients in this quick bread.
I Don’t Drink Alcohol Can I leave The Rum Out Of The Recipe?
Yes! I you don’t drink alcohol then leave out the rum. Alternatively, if you want the flavor without the alcohol use a rum extract.
Use one teaspoon in place of the three tablespoons of rum.
More Quick Breads To Try
Looking for additional breads to try? Check out these recipes:
- Low carb banana bread – made with Carbquick and Bisquick copycat for low carb followers.
- Sugar free pumpkin bread – grain free fall favorite bread.
- Pumpkin apple bread – made with whole wheat flour and chunks of apples.
- Peach bread – if you love shredded coconut you’ll love this recipe. Peaches and coconut are delicious together.
- Strawberry bread recipe – fresh strawberries and a delicious glaze tops this bread.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, light
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 3 ripe bananas (about 1 1/2 cups), mashed
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt, plain
- 3 tablespoons dark rum
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup flaked sweetened coconut, lightly toasted
- 1 tablespoon flaked sweetened coconut (not toasted)
Information for substituting rum can be found here.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 178Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 31mgSodium: 146mgCarbohydrates: 31gFiber: 1gSugar: 16gProtein: 3g
Please note that the nutritional information provided are guidelines and may vary based on the brand of products used. For your specific nutritional goals use My Fitness Pal or Verywell Fit recipe calculators. All content within this site is not intended as medical diagnosis or treatment and should not be considered a substitute for professional medical expertise.
PIN TO YOUR QUICK BREAD RECIPE BOARDS