Peeps Baked Lemon Cake Donuts perched in nests are the perfect treats to add to your Easter brunch menu!
Marshmallow Peeps are the peaking out of a donut nest made with fresh lemons for a little zip that pairs nicely with the sweetness of donut!
I don’t make seasonal cute treats like this often, but it’s fun to mix things up, and when a group of bloggers wanted to host a giveaway we thought it would be fun to see what ideas we could come up with using Marshmallow Peeps as the main attraction! I love creative challenges like this!
These Baked Lemon Cake Donuts are easy to make and would be fun for the kids to help decorate! Perch a Peep right out of the middle of each donut and decorate the nest with mini jelly beans! The simple glaze adds a sweet and slightly mouth puckering flavor you’ll love!
I have a mini donut pan that I’ve used for these Baked Mini Donuts, Chocolate Rocky Road Donuts and this Baked Donut Birthday Cake Tower, but I don’t have a large size donut pan so I improvised! I used a dessert shell pan and filled the dough partially leaving a hole in the middle replicating the shape of a donut! It works brilliantly! There is always a way to make do with what you have!
You can make 8-10 standard size donuts with this recipe, but you may not be able to resist baking mini donuts too! Those cute little bites are so irresistible! I mixed it up baked both large size donuts as well as the little guys!
I also added a candied mustache to one of the Peeps! Did you see it? Hehee – I couldn’t resist!
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup whole wheat pastry flour
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, large
- ⅓ cup milk
- 2 tablespoons oil (canola)
- 3 tablespoons applesauce, unsweetened
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1-2 tablespoons lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- Marshmallow Peeps
- Green candy shred (grass)
- mini jelly beans
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a donut pan and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk the flours, sugar, baking powder and salt together.
- In a medium bowl whisk the eggs together with the milk apple sauce, oil, lemon juice and vanilla extract. After combined add the lemon zest.
- Pour the et mixture into the dry ingredients and fold together until combined (don't beat or over mix).
- Spoon the batter into the donut pan filling ¾ full. Bake for 20 minutes or until light golden brown. Let cool for 5 minutes before putting them on a wire cooling rack.
- Mix until powdered sugar with one tablespoon of the lemon juice. Add more until desired consistency. Dip each donut in the glaze and place on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper or foil. Add candy grass and gently add Marshmallow Peep in the center of the donut. Decorate with jelly beans and let set.
Check out all the Marshmallow Peeps creations from 14 bloggers showcasing recipes and crafts for marshmallow Peeps! Hop on over to each site:
White Chocolate Peeps Pops from Foody Schmoody
Peeps Ideas for Easter from Organized Island
Peeps Edible Play Dough from By Trish Sutton
Festive White Chocolate Pies from House of Faucis
Smores Peeps Pops from The Bitter Side of Sweet
Marshmallow Peeps Hair Clip from The TipToe Fairy
Peeps Brownies from My Big Fat Happy Life
Peeps Easter Bunny Pudding Cups from For the Love of Food
Easter Peeps Bunny Bags from Nap Time Creations
Peeps Baked Lemon Cake Donuts from The Foodie Affair
Peeps Easter Basket Cupcakes from One Hoolie Mama
Chocolate Dipped Marshmallow Bunnies with FREE Printable from A Grande Life
Peep Tarts Martini from An Affair from the Heart
Peeps Cotton Candy Easter Sundae from An Alli Event
We can’t wait for Easter with all these Peeps ideas! Now you can enter to win a Target gift card so you can make all these fun ideas! Enter below. Good luck!
First Prize – $100 Target gift card
Second Prize – $40 Target gift card