Irish Brown Soda Bread Recipe with whole wheat pastry flour, wheat germ, old-fashioned oats and brown sugar! This hearty and flavorful bread is fabulous right out of the oven with butter!
Soda Bread Recipe
Quick bread recipes are best to make when you want homemade bread without any wait time. Whisk the ingredients together and bake it!
Traditional soda bread is a simple combination of flour, baking soda, sour milk and salt.
Thank goodness we can purchase buttermilk instead of using expired milk like the Irish farmers did back in the day.
The sour milk and the baking soda works their magic together giving the bread a little lift!
You may be more familiar with sweet ingredients added to Irish soda bread like raisins or currents. Cooks just can’t help adding their own special touch!
Easy Soda Bread With Whole Grains
This Irish Brown Soda Bread recipe is similar to the traditional recipe except you’ll find whole grains, a little butter and sugar.
If you haven’t started baking with whole wheat pastry flour or white whole wheat flour do give it a try!
It’s much milder in flavor than the strong flavors of regular wheat with all the same healthy benefits!
The brown sugar in this recipe does a nice job of toning down the nutty flavors from the wheat germ and flour that sometimes can taste harsh and woody.
You can use all whole wheat flour instead of part all-purpose in this recipe like I did, but if you aren’t used to eating all wheat foods, then transition slowly and use half and half.
You’ll be surprised that the wheat haters won’t notice you are baking with some healthier ingredients!
What To Serve With Soda Bread
This Brown Soda Bread has a hearty crunch on the outside with a tender center and if you aren’t careful you can easily eat the entire loaf in one sitting!
Enjoy with butter and jam with a hot cup of coffee or serve with a warm bowl of soup.
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/4 cup wheat germ
- 1/4 cup old-fashioned oats, plus one tablespoon to top dough
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons butter, unsalted
- 2 cups buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Butter a iron skillet and set aside.
- Whisk together flours, wheat germ, oats, sugar, baking soda and salt.
- Add in butter and mix into flour mixture with a fork until the pieces are broken down.
- Stir in buttermilk combining all ingredients into a sticky dough.
- Form into a round circle and place on prepared skillet.
- Slice an X onto the top of the dough.
- Sprinkle one tablespoon of the oats over the dough.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until the bread is golden brown and a wooden skewer comes out clean when inserted in the middle. Cool before slicing.
This can also be baked in a 9X5X3 inch loaf pan.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 290Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 13mgSodium: 302mgCarbohydrates: 50gFiber: 5gSugar: 5gProtein: 10g
Please note that the nutritional information provided are guidelines and may vary based on the brand of products used. For your specific nutritional goals use My Fitness Pal or Verywell Fit recipe calculators. All content within this site is not intended as medical diagnosis or treatment and should not be considered a substitute for professional medical expertise.
Recipe inspired by Brown Soda Bread, Epicurious.