I love summer barbecues. The open fire, hubby prepping the grill while drinking a beer, it’s my favorite way to spend our summer evenings. I especially like that my hubby enjoys being the cook when we barbecue. It’s his domaine, and through trial and error, he has become quite the grill master! Thank goodness, because open flame cooking is not my territory. In fact, I don’t think I have ever grilled anything, ever!
I have a couple of favorite store bought barbecue sauces that I go to when I want to add some super quick and easy flavor when grilling. While poking through the refrigerator looking to see what I had on hand, I noticed that the first ingredient on one of my favorite sauces is high fructose corn syrup. No wonder the meat quickly chars! The heat has to sizzle through the sugar before getting to the meat.
Homemade is best, always! This barbecue sauce recipe was in our Sunday paper, the USA Weekend, and it’s finger-lickin’ good just as they promised. With only three tablespoons of molasses, it’s low in sugar. Easy to make too.
Molasses and mango adds the sweetness you might be used to in your barbecue sauces, and jalapeño peppers adds a little spicy kick. Nice combination.
Mango Barbecue sauce
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and diced (about 1 cup)
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped (about 1 Tablespoon)
- 1/4 Teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 Teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar (I only had white to add)
- 3 Tablespoons unsulfured molasses
- 2 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- Juice from one lime
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce
- 1 medium ripe mango, peeled, pitted and diced (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 2-3 jalapeño peppers, seeded and minced
- 8 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (about 2 1/2 pounds), pounded between 2 sheets of waxed paper to 1/2-inch thickness
You can make the sauce up to three days in advance.
Try the sauce on pork chops, grilled shrimp skewers or drizzle it over grilled vegetables. The recipe makes about 3 cups.
Looking for more BBQ recipes? Visit Nosh My Way’s Foodie Friends Friday for a collection of recipes!! My Finger-Lickin’ Good Barbecue Sauce was picked as the Host’s Favorite!