Simple strawberry scones recipe made with coconut milk and white whole wheat pastry flour. These vegan light and airy treats are delicious with a cup of warm tea!
I was inspired to make a batch of scones after attending a TEA PARTY! Have you been to one? I’m not talking about playing tea with your baby girl, niece or neighbor’s kids. I’m talking about a party for grown up ladies!
This gathering wasn’t fancy, so not hats and white gloves, but it was complete with bite size sandwiches, scones, delectable treats, and warm tea served in tea cups!
It was such a festive afternoon hosted by my co-worker, and a perfect opportunity for the ladies to gather and check out the awesome home she recently moved into.
My girlfriend Eva happened to be in town visiting, so she attended the tea with me, and the following morning I whipped up a batch of scones for us. We continued our own party with tea of course!
I didn’t follow the rules by shaping these into triangles like these honey lavender scones, low fat pumpkin scones or cranberry scones. I cut them with a round biscuit cutter that was only a couple of inches wide. They look more like pillowy cookies, but they’re yummy scones with fresh fruit!
These strawberry scones are simply made treats without butter, eggs or refined sugar. I used fresh strawberries for this recipe, but any berry fruit would be just as tasty with the coconut milk.
Strawberry Scones Recipe with Coconut Milk
- 1 1/2 cups White whole wheat flour
- 1/2 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup sugar alternative (I used Swerve)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cups coconut milk (canned)
- 1/2 cup strawberries, diced
- Sprinkle top with confectioner's sugar (Swerve)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a medium bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, and sweetener.
- In a small bowl stir together coconut milk, vanilla. Pour over dry ingredients and mix with a fork until a dough forms (you may need more liquid, but you don't want it too wet). Fold in strawberries.
- Place batter on a lightly floured surface and gently pat down so the batter is even. Using a small biscuit cutter form 10 pieces (or cut into triangles). Place on prepared baking sheet and place in the freezer for 15 minutes.
- Remove from freezer and bake for 15 minutes or until set. Sprinkle with powdered sugar (Swerve).