Creamy Protein Ice Cream recipe made with coconut milk, protein powder, greek yogurt, vanilla extract, and any add-ins like blueberries, cherries, chocolate or coconut flakes!
Hey guys! I’m back after a full week of vacation time! Alan and I packed our bags and headed to Washington State to visit family, and then scooted on over to Vancouver for more sight seeing. Our days were non-stop, but we slept in every morning which was such a treat for the both of us!
Besides visiting with my in-laws, I think Alan and I both enjoyed riding bikes around Stanley Park seawall the most. We walked everywhere in the city, so we put in a lot of miles by foot everyday, which made bike riding feel so relaxing!
The day we rode was a beautiful sunny day, and the trail is super flat as well as organized (no dodging walkers or runners), so it felt like a leisure stroll.
We needed to get in those exercise miles because we ate out a lot, and we both indulged in whatever we wanted like poutine, pastries, and of course we had to try the local beers!
I plan on replicating a couple of dishes that I tried, but first I need to get back on track and eat healthier, so I’m sharing this basic Protein Ice Cream Recipe that will be an evening snack this coming week!
You can really get creative with this ice cream and add whatever ingredients you are craving! I’ve been hooked on Rainer Cherries, so when I saw that they were available at Whole Foods I snagged some and chopped them up with fresh blueberries!
I also made chocolate covered ice cream bites that are heavenly! I found some premium baking chips with 55% cocoa and made without sugar! They’re sweetened with stevia, which makes me happy, happy, happy! They’re not cheap, but if you want an excellent baking chip that’s sugar-free, non-GMO, gluten-free, and vegan, then look for Lily’s dark chocolate chips!
Nob Hill grocery store has them in stock, and it looks like they’re available online too.
Boy, I just read all about Lily — LOVE organizations that give back to the community! Read for yourself for a heart warmer 🙂 And I have no affiliation with this company/product, just passing along an awesome find.
Protein Ice Cream Recipe
- 13.5 ounce Canned Coconut Milk (I used Thai Kitchen full fat)
- 3/4 cup vanilla protein powder (I used True Athlete)*see note for vegan option
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt, plain
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped fruit (blueberries, cherries, strawberries)
- 1/2 cup coconut flakes
- FOR Chocolate Bites
- 1 cup Dark Chocolate Chips (I used Lily's)
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- In a large bowl whisk together coconut milk, protein powder, Greek yogurt and vanilla extract. Stir until smooth.
- Add fruit to popsicle mold, then add protein-yogurt blend. Mix in mold with a knife to distribute fruit and release air pockets. Freeze until set. To remove popsicle set mold in warm water for a couple of minutes to help release from the mold.
- FOR Chocolate Bites
- Line a small 8 x 8 inch baking pan with parchment paper. Pour protein-yogurt blend in prepared pan and spread evenly with a knife. Top with coconut flakes and Freeze until set. To remove set baking dish in warm water for a couple of minutes to help release from the pan. Remove with parchment paper still intact and place on a cutting board. Cut into squares.
- Place chocolate chips and coconut oil in a double boiler and melt until creamy over medium heat or place in a microwave safe bowl and melt in 30 second increments until chocolate is smooth. Dip each square into the chocolate or put chocolate in a piping bag and top each square with the amount of chocolate you prefer.
- Place each piece of ice cream on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Put in freezer until set. Enjoy!
Vegans will want to use a vegetable based protein powder.
Protein Ice Cream is inspired by Bob's Red Mill.
If you like this Protein Ice Cream Recipe you also might like to try this Cherry Greek Yogurt Ice Cream Sandwich!