Cherry Greek Yogurt Ice Cream Sandwiches are a healthier version of the traditional ice cream sandwiches. Creamy Greek yogurt filling that’s nestled between two prepared cinnamon graham crackers.
This is as close as I’m going to get to making homemade ice cream this summer! I know, how could I even consider calling this a summer without making ice cream??
I’m still working very hard on my fitness goal to gain muscle and lose fat, and I can’t reach my goal without modifying my diet as well.
How does a girl with a sweet tooth survive? I revise some of my favorite treats, and believe it or not, I get great satisfaction when I bake and make food for others. I also have a once a week “eat whatever you crave” meal that I look forward to.
This Greek ice cream recipe was a test, a sweet tooth test. I planned on making a yogurt pie to see if this variation of an ice cream pie would be satisfying.
After mixing the ingredients, I swapped it to sandwiches and had my guys try it because I was certain I would like it!
I thought they might not care for it because yogurt has such a diet food stigma attached to it, and unlike some of the other times they offered to give their opinion on a new recipe, they asked what it was made of. I was certain they already had a preconceived idea of what they thought it might taste like.
Hmmm, they seem to be catching onto my ingredient swapping tricks!
I’m happy to report that my hubby and son both said it had the perfect amount of sweetness in it, and this was before I dressed up the sandwiches with some Magic Shell Chocolate Topping!
I also use Greek yogurt as a substitute for sour cream and other fats typically found in recipes. You may have seen the substitution chart that I added on The Foodie Affair’s Facebook page.
I followed the same logic for these Greek yogurt ice cream sandwiches, swapping in yogurt. In this case, I cut quite a bit of fat and sugar by using one portion of flavored yogurt together with a plain yogurt, and then folded in whipped topping for a thicker ice cream consistency.
Cherry Greek Yogurt Ice Cream Sandwiches
- 1 6 oz cherry Greek yogurt I used Choboni
- 1 6 oz Plain 0% fat Greek yogurt I used Fage
- 1 8 oz whipped topping I used the brand truwhip
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup fresh fruit chopped (cherries, pitted)
- 1 sleeve cinnamon graham crackers
- For Magic Chocolate
- 8 oz chopped chocolate or chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- Line a casserole dish with parchment paper. I used a 7" x 11" dish.
- Mix yogurts and vanilla together until combined. Fold in whipped topping and add fresh fruit. Spread evenly in pan. Put in freezer for at least 4 hours. Overnight is preferable. Remove from freezer and cut into 8 squares the size of half of the graham crackers. Place back in freezer in an airtight container. To add chocolate, melt chocolate and coconut oil together in the microwave (my microwave has a chocolate setting). Dip half in chocolate and place on parchment paper and put back in freezer until the magic chocolate hardens. Enjoy!
Please note that the nutritional information provided are guidelines and may vary based on the brand of products used. For your specific nutritional goals use My Fitness Pal or Verywell Fit recipe calculators. All content within this site is not intended as medical diagnosis or treatment and should not be considered a substitute for professional medical expertise.
A tinge of tart but enough sugar to feel like it’s a treat, and it is, especially when dipped in some in chocolate 🙂
Try using your favorite yogurt flavor! You can also use a variation of whipped topping, like creamy or a fat-free version of whipped topping.