Creamy banana cream parfaits made without pre-packaged pudding mix! This homemade recipe is layered with whipped cream and topped with bananas and chocolate!
Well, phooey! Punxsutawney Phil saw his shadow, predicting six more weeks of winter! I was convinced that spring was on its way since we’ve had so much rain lately.
I’m not complaining, though. CA has been battling drought conditions for years, so a little more puddle play is just fine by me.
Perhaps Ms. Cali will be in better shape once the snow from the mountains melt! Let’s not wait for six weeks to enjoy a little sunshine though, ok?
How about Banana Cream Parfaits to brighten your day!
This recipe is adapted from Cooking Light. This recipe has been my favorite banana cream filling to use in parfaits and in pies!
The filling is thick and creamy and rich tasting, but it has been lightened up with ingredients like low-fat milk and just a 1/2 cup of sugar.
I lowered the carbs in this dessert even more by substituted granulated sugar for 1/4 cup of Whole Earth Sweetener Co. baking blend.
Whole Earth Sweetener Co. baking blend is a combination of stevia and raw cane sugar. This is the same brand I used to make this Lower Sugar Homemade Pumpkin Spice Coffee Creamer. I’ve also made this with a combination of erythritol and stevia. Play around with your favorite sweetener!
You’ll love the flavors folded into this parfait! If you want to use the filling in a pie, but keep the dessert low carb try making it with this coconut flour pie crust!
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup of granulated sugar or ¼ cup sugar alternative
- 1½ tablespoons cornstarch
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, large
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon banana powder or banana extract
- 2 ounces cream cheese- low fat is fine (block-style at room temperature)
- 1½ cups whipped topping
- Fresh banana slices or dried banana chips
- chocolate chips/pieces for garnish (optional)
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat add 1½ tablespoons cornstarch, banana powder, sweetener, salt, eggs, butter and milk. Whisk ingredients until ingredients begin to boil. Reduce to low and stir until thick. Remove from heat. Add vanilla.
- In a separate bowl beat cream cheese until light and fluffy. Add ¼ cup of filling to cream cheese mix and beat until combined. Fold in remaining filling. Cover with plastic wrap placing the wrap directly onto the surface of the filling. Refrigerate for a couple of hours.
- To assemble parfaits, add 2-3 tablespoons to the bottom of a serving dish. Top with whipped cream. Repeat layer. Top with bananas and chocolate pieces.