Fettuccine Alfredo with Ham and Peas! This rich and creamy dish is easy to make and delightfully satisfying!
Pasta? You may be thinking, what the heck are you making pasta for when everyone is feeling full from all the holiday treats, and are tuned into DIETING! Blah, blah, blah…. come on let’s not go overboard so quickly! Heehee
This dish has been a family favorite for YEARS! Long before carbohydrate dishes were made in excess and we learned that maybe we should treat pasta dishes more like a treat instead of a staple, which is how I treat pasta meals today.
A small amount of this Fettuccini Alfredo Ham Peas dish is all you need to feel satiated!
Well, it is no surprise that fettuccini Alfredo is made with heavy cream and lots of cheese, which are both so delightful over pasta. I promise that you can enjoy a small amount of pasta and be completely satisfied with every delicious bite. At the same time you won’t ruin your New Year’s eating resolution. Pinky swear.
I first started making this this meal as a newlywed. Pasta is economical and will last for dayyyys, which is perfect when your budget is tight! I usually cut up ham steak in chunks for this recipe, but this time I used slices of leftover ham from our Christmas meal.
We planned on cooking for a bigger crowd this year, but Alan came home from our vacation with a horrible cold and cough. How do you get sick from warm tropical weather? Perhaps it was the germs from the plane ride!
The 12 pound ham was already purchased and ended up being made for three people – Alan, me and Sam. Loads of leftovers for sure!
Leftover ham is perfect for this pasta dish!
Leftover dishes are always good with us, especially when a meal is reinvented into a scrumptious dish like this Fettuccini Alfredo dish! When Sam saw me making this meal he said, “Mmm, this is one of my favorites!”
That tidbit of info was good news to my ears since after we enjoyed a bit the remaining meal was packed up for him to take with him back to Southern California. This stores wonderfully in a large Ziploc bag 😉
- 1 pound fettuccini pasta (cooked in salted water according to manufacturer's directions)
- 1½ cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic, minced
- 1 small shallot, minced
- ¼ cup white wine (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup grated cheese, parmesan or a combination of Parmigiano Reggiano
- 6-8 ounces sliced or diced ham
- 1½ cup peas, frozen
- Cook pasta Al dente according to packaged directions. Add peas the last minute of cooking.
- In a small saucepan heat oil over medium. Add shallots and garlic and cook until fragrant (careful not to burn!). Add wine and cook until alcohol burn off. Add cream until heated. Strain liquid in another heat proof bowl (optional) and discard shallots.
- Return liquid to saucepan and add cheese and pepper. Stir until melted. Add ham to warm.
- Combine pasta with peas and Alfredo sauce. Serve immediately.