Bitesize buffalo chicken meatballs made with lean meat and spicy hot sauce are the perfect appetizer when dipped in homemade blue cheese dressing!
Oh, man! These little meatballs are light and flavorful and are quick to disappear! I served these with our Easter brunch as a last minute appetizer. So not what I would normally add to my menu, but I wanted to use up the rest of the blue cheese dressing that I made last week.
At first I thought about making hot wings, but those take a lot of effort to eat and leaves you feeling like all you did was gnaw on little bones! These buffalo chicken meatballs are little, but satisfying and they’re the perfect size to spear with a bamboo fork!
These can be baked ahead of time and reheated which is what I did since I was preparing several dishes. I’m so glad I stashed these away before our brunch because I think if I would asked Alan to taste test these ahead of time there wouldn’t have been any for anyone else to try!
These meatballs are easy to make, super flavorful, and compliments the coolness of the blue cheese dressing quite nicely! Have a crowd gathering for March Madness? Add these little bites to your appetizer spread and be sure to double up the recipe!
- 4 tablespoons butter, unsalted
- ⅓ cup Hot Sauce ( I used Frank's Original)
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 egg, large
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- ¾ cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Blue cheese dressing for serving
- Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees. Grease a 9 X13 inch baking pan with cooking oil or spray with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a small saucepan cook over low heat the butter and hot sauce. Stir until ingredients are blended. Remove from heat and let cool.
- In a large bowl whisk egg. Mix in ground chicken, celery, hot sauce/butter combination, and panko breadcrumbs. Stir until well incorporated.
- Using a small (3/4") cookie scoop form small meatballs. Roll in your hands to ensure meat is compact. Place in prepared baking dish lining balls in tight rows. Bake for 15 minutes or until meatballs are cooked through. Serve with blue cheese dressing
Adapted from Epicurious Mini Buffalo Chicken Balls