Looking for a dish to feed a crowd, hungry teenagers, or just want to make sure you have leftovers? Try this American classic, a goulash of sorts. We call it what it is, Macaroni and Beef, and depending on where you live, you might have another name for it, like American Chop Suey. I kind of like the sound of that, so I just may have to put that title in my vocabulary.
Have you made Hamburger Helper? Yeah, we probably all have at one time or another. This recipe is a homemade version of Hamburger Helper. The boxed meal deal is super convenient and cheap, but it never makes enough for a good amount of leftovers. I like having leftovers for lunches, but this week my son will be home for spring break, so leftovers will be for his midnight snacking.
Macaroni and Beef Pasta Dish
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/2 pound Italian sausage
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 28 ounce can whole peeled tomatoes
- 2 15 ounce cans tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoons sugar
- 1 lb large elbow macaroni
- In a large pot over medium high heat warm oil and add onion, cooking until softened.
- Add beef, sausage, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, red pepper, and salt and pepper. Cook, until lightly browned, about five minutes.
- Add whole tomatoes with he juice, breaking up the tomatoes. Stir in the tomato sauce, tomato paste, and sugar. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered for about an hour.
- While the sauce is cooking, cook pasta, reducing the cooking time by a couple of minutes. Drain pasta, and rinse with cold water.
- Stir the macaroni and sauce sauce together. Adjust salt and pepper to taste, and cook everything for another 10 minutes. Serve with grated Parmesan cheese.
adapted from here.
A sprinkle of shaved parmesan cheese gives it just the right amount of cheesy deliciousness as it slowly melts onto the pasta.
Today it finally feels like SPRING!! The sun is bright and I have a bounce in my step. Hope you have an amazing weekend.