Fresh green bean recipe with prosciutto topped with pine nuts and a warm vinaigrette for your holiday meal!
Green Bean Recipe
Have you started organizing your Thanksgiving menu? Do you stick with the same foods year after year or do you like to try new dishes?
This green bean salad has been making an appearance on our Thanksgiving table for over 20 years! My mom made this recipe from one of her Food & Wine Magazines back in the late 80’s and I have continued to make it for my family.
The original recipe tops the beans with bacon, which is DELICIOUS, but with so many other foods being served for Thanksgiving dinner I use Prosciutto, which adds the same delicious salty flavor that bacon has, but we’re skipping the greasy clean up!
There is nothing like fresh green beans! I like them steamed just slightly so that they hold their form and have a nice crunch to them when you take a bite! Don’t expect leftovers.
This platter of green beans is always is cleaned by the end of the evening!
If you need more recipe ideas for Thanksgiving be sure to swing back by! Twelve bloggers are hosting a Progressive Thanksgiving Dinner (I’m sharing these green beans)! Swing by now!!
Fresh Green Beans with Prosciutto
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 1 1/2 pounds green beans, trim ends
- 6 medium cocktail tomatoes, cut in half
- 3 ounces prosciutto, cubed
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- Toast pine nuts in a skillet over medium heat until golden brown (watch carefully). Set aside.
- In a large sauce pan of boiling and salted water, cook the beans until just tender (about 5 minutes). Drain and rinse with cold water to stop the cooking process. Arrange on a platter and place tomatoes along the sides.
- In a small skilled saute the prosciutto. Add the olive oil, vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper. Turn the heat to medium-high and bring to a boil and cook until the sugar has disolved. Add the pine nuts and pour dressing over the beans and tomatoes. Serve immediately.