This chicken vegetable casserole is packed with a variety of vegetables and lightly coated with a satisfying white sauce!
I packed this casserole with all my leftover veggies that I needed to use up. Instead of tossing them they went straight into this casserole! Broccoli, red pepper, zucchini, and mushrooms are packed in this dish and instead of a wheat noodles I used chickpea pasta!
Every so often I’ll sneak in pasta that’s not made from flour and it’s been a nice healthy change! This minestrone soup with chickpea pasta was a big hit with my family, and once again since there are so many yummy flavors in this dish no one noticed that I didn’t add regular pasta!
You certainly can if you would like though! In fact, you can also mix up the veggies with whatever you have in your refrigerator! If you use broccoli or cauliflower then I recommend pre-cooking them for a couple of minutes. They’ll finish cooking up in the oven with the rest of the more delicate veggies like zucchini.
If you’re looking for a meal that will feed a crowd or want to make sure you have some leftovers for lunch (doing the happy food dance here!), then give this Chicken Vegetable Casserole a try!
- 2 chicken breasts, cooked and diced
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 4 tablespoons butter, unsalted
- 2½ cups milk
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1½ teaspoons Italian seasoning
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese, shredded
- 8 ounce pasta (I used chickpea)
- 5 cups vegetables (broccoli, zucchini, mushrooms, bell pepper, mushrooms)
- ½ cup sharp white cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly coat a 9 x 13" baking dish with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat add butter and stir until melted. Whisk in flour until combined and a thick roux forms. Slowly whisk in the milk and stir until it thickens. Add salt, pepper, Italian seasoning and parmesan cheese until combined.
- In a large pot cook pasta according to package directions. During the last two minutes add the broccoli. Drain.
- Combine pasta, broccoli and remaining vegetables with chicken in the prepared casserole dish. Pour sauce over all ingredients and gently fold into the vegetables and chicken. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese and cover with foil. Bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil and cook until sauce is bubbly and cheese is melted.