This hearty Super Good Chili with Beer is perfect for lunch or dinner. Serve with grated cheese, rice or make a chili dog!
This recipe is an oldie! It’s been my go-to chili recipe for years and just like the title says, it Super Good Chili! I clipped the recipe from the Honolulu Advertiser back in the 80’s when I was a newlywed, experimenting with easy dishes, and trying to stretch our grocery money into a couple of meals!
One of the ingredients in this recipe is beer. I’m not much of a beer drinker, but I’ll enjoy a glass with spicy Mexican food or pizza, and since my hubby brews beer, I’ll definitely sample his creations!
- 1 Tablespoon canola oil
- 2 pounds ground beef or turkey
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 (12 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (16 ounce) pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (16 ounce) red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (12 ounce) bottle of beer
- 1 (4 ounce) diced green chiles
- 1 Tablespoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- cheese for garnish and any toppings you like
I have never used any specific brand or preferred ale over a lager. I use whatever beer we have in the refrigerator. There are definitely subtle hints of hops and malt though this chili. It blends nicely with the spices.
I promise you that no one is going to get tipsy eating this dish. Well, at least no one I’ve ever served this to has! 😉
I like adding cheese to my chili. What are your favorite toppings?