This torta recipe is a Mexican Style Steak Sandwich packed with a punch of flavor! A simple Mexican favorite dish with broiled flank steak, diced tomatoes, lime juice and cilantro. This is a family favorite hearty sandwich!
Just the meal to have ready for my sports fanatics as we roll into the big basketball tournaments!
What I like about this recipe is that the marinade is made from a base of RO*TEL diced tomatoes, which is super convenient since RO*TEL offers flavors that enhance a Mexican dish. I used the diced tomatoes Mexican blend of lime, jalapeño peppers with cilantro and put it right in the marinade. The combination adds a delicious flavor to the steak with just the right amount of spice!
Steak is filling and when sliced for sandwiches, and it can go a long way if you’re feeding a crowd! I know, pizza usually comes to mind when you have several bellies to satisfy because it’s quick to order or make if you use an Easy No rise Whole Wheat Pizza Dough recipe, but that meal is predictable!
This Mexican Style Steak Sandwiches is easy to make and if you are in warm weather break out the grill!
Grill not prepped for the season like mine? Broil the meat for a quick sear like I did here. Two minutes on one side and three minutes on the other. Let it rest for a couple of minutes and then slice it up!
I recommend toasting the sandwich rolls before assembling the sandwich. The crusty layer gives the steak a thin barrier so that the juice from the meat doesn’t soak through the bread too quickly.
RO*TEL brand has a variety of diced tomatoes, including a mild flavor if you can’t handle the heat in your foods, but I think you’ll be pleased with the flavor of RO*TEL Mexican Lime & Cilantro Diced Tomatoes. I found a half dozen varieties to choose from at Walmart!
This recipe was more than enough for 6 filling Sandwiches. I fed six (glad to include my parents in the crowd) with it, and getting ready to marinade more steak! Leftover steak can be added for filling salads as well as put in quesadillas or fajitas!
How about serving this Mexican Style Steak Sandwich with a side of Pico de Gallo Fresh Salsa!
- 2 pounds flank steak or skirt steak
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 limes, juiced
- 1 10 ounce can RO*TEL Mexican Lime & Cilantro diced tomatoes
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, divided
- 6-8 rolls for sandwiches
- In a small bowl mix together olive oil, cumin, salt and juice of two limes.
- Place marinade in a plastic bag with the steak. Close bag and massage marinade all over the meat.
- Add RO*TEL diced tomatoes and 1/2 cup chopped cilantro and coat the meat again.
- Put in the refrigerator to marinade for at least 2 hours and up to 1 day.
Bolillo Mexican Bread
- Split sandwich bread in half. Lightly coat each side of the center of the bread with olive oil or butter and broil to lightly toast (watch closely).
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and set aside.
- To cook steak remove from the refrigerator and let sit for thirty minutes at room temperature.
- Place steak on prepared baking sheet and place six inches below the broiler and broil for 2 minutes. Flip and broil the other side for 3 minutes.
- Remove steak from heat and place on a cutting board. Cover lightly with foil and let sit for for 5 minutes. Slice against the grain.
- Assemble sandwiches with sliced steak, and fresh cilantro if desired.
Any variety of sandwich rolls can be used for this recipe.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 561Total Fat: 27gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 128mgSodium: 559mgCarbohydrates: 31gFiber: 5gSugar: 3gProtein: 51g
Please note that the nutritional information provided are guidelines and may vary based on the brand of products used. For your specific nutritional goals use My Fitness Pal or Verywell Fit recipe calculators. All content within this site is not intended as medical diagnosis or treatment and should not be considered a substitute for professional medical expertise.