Cheddar Jalapeño Beer Bread doesn’t require any yeast, kneading or time to rise. Mix and bake! Doesn’t get any easier to have a fresh loaf of tasty bread on your table!
Do you ever get a craving or see a recipe and must make it immediately? That’s exactly what happened when I saw a loaf of savory beer bread on Facebook over at Lemony Thyme’s page.
I improvised with the ingredients I had on hand and made this Extra Sharp Cheddar Jalapeño Beer Bread!
Ever since I made this Guinness Beer Bread I have a new appreciation for the science behind cooking! How can it be that there is enough yeast in the beer to make a gorgeous loaf of bread? Yet, when I try to poof my own yeast, it often flops? <sigh>
Maybe my yeast is old or my house is too cold or is it possible that I just need to practice more often with yeast breads?
I always feel a sense of accomplishment when I bake quick bread, the most basic fool proof way to tinker with breads. It comes out perfect every time, so that’s why I was so excited to try this recipe, plus it has jalapeños in it and my husband and son love spicy foods!
The cheese and jalapeños are so tasty together. In fact, I think I could’ve added more peppers! I’m usually the one that holds back on the heat, so I think my taste buds are getting used to more spice! I didn’t pay attention to the type of beer that I added. I just grabbed what was in the refrigerator. I do remember that is was pale yellow, not dark like Guinness.
Eat this fresh out of the oven with some butter or pair it with a delicious bowl of chili. I have a Super Good Beer Chili that you might want to try if you want to keep the hops theme going!
The bread also makes a tasty grilled cheese and baby bella mushroom sandwich. I sautéd the sliced mushroom in a little olive oil before grilling the sandwich. You can also add some crispy bacon and mustard like my husband and son did!
- 3 cups self-rising flour
- 2 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 12 ounces of beer (light colored)
- 1 cup shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 jalapeño, diced (more if you would like)
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease a 9X5 inch loaf pan with butter and set aside.
- Whisk together flour, sugar in a large mixing bowl. Add beer and stir until moistened. Fold in cheese and jalapeño. Put into prepared loaf pan.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Remove from oven and top with 2 tablespoons of butter. let it melt. Cool for 10-15 minutes before removing from pan and slicing.