Cherry Almond Mug Cake

Pin on PinterestShare on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterShare on StumbleUponShare on YummlyShare on RedditEmail this to someone

Single-serving Cherry Almond Mug Cake is easy, delicious, and made in under 5 minutes!

Cherry Almond Mug Cake - The Foodie Affair

Irresistible mini cakes microwaved right in a mug! Are you already a fan? This whole concept of dessert for one in a mug is brilliant! No matter what time of day or evening it is, if your sweet tooth needs a treat, this Cherry Almond Mug Cake can be whipped up and enjoyed in minutes! Plus the clean up is minimal and you don’t have to tempt yourself with leftovers.

I began experimenting with this recipe after my son and his girlfriend were craving cupcakes late one evening. I didn’t have any boxed cake mix for a quick fix, so they ran to the store before it closed for the evening and baked Funfetti cupcakes…using avocado oil, aye! That was was totally my son’s idea, but not because he thought it would be tastier or a healthier option. He used the oil I save for savory dishes because it was in arms reach when he grabbed it from the cabinet. Aye, again!

Cherry Almond Mug Cake - The Foodie Affair

I wanted to master this recipe quick, just in case the snack attack hit again 😉  It only took me a couple of tweaks before it passed the taste test, and now I want to start experimenting with all types of different flavored mug cakes!

I usually pair cherries with chocolate, but thought a vanilla based cake would accompany the cherry and rich almond extract nicely. The whipped cream is a delicious light tasting substitute for frosting, but not completely necessary. The cake is flavorful enough on its own.

Keep this dessert in mind for a Valentine’s Day treat, and if you want another recipe to use up any extra cherries you might have left, try this Cherry Chocolate Chip Dip!

Cherry Almond Mug Cake - The Foodie Affair

Cherry Almond Mug Cake
Prep time
Cook time
Total time
Recipe type: Dessert
Serves: 1
  • ¼ cup white whole wheat flour (or all-purpose)
  • ¼ teaspoon baking powder
  • 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
  • pinch of salt
  • ¼ milk of your choice (cow, coconut, almond)
  • ¾ teaspoon coconut oil in liquid form
  • ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
  • ¼ teaspoon almond extract
  • 6 cherries, cut in half and extra to top cake
  • Whipped cream (optional)
  1. In a 8 ounce cup whisk together dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, sugar and salt. In a seperate small bowl mix liquid ingredients together: milk, coconut oil, almond extract. Fold in cherries. Add liquid mix to dry ingredients. Mix until blended. Microwave for 1 minute. If not completely cooked heat an additional 10 seconds until cooked. Top with additional cherries and fresh whipped cream.

Cherry Almond Mug Cake - The Foodie Affair

Sandra @ The Foodie Affair

22 Comments on Cherry Almond Mug Cake

1. avatar
    January 14, 2015

I love this cake for one, perfect for a night in 😀

Choc Chip Uru

2. avatar
    Rachael says:
    January 14, 2015

This looks great, thank you to your son and his girlfriend. And that mug is gorgeous!

3. avatar
    Liz says:
    January 15, 2015

I love a touch of almond extract in cherry desserts—your mug cakes sound divine!!!

4. avatar
    Robin Rue (@massholemommy) says:
    January 16, 2015

That sounds like heaven! I definitely want to try this 🙂

5. avatar
    Michele says:
    January 16, 2015

I bought a mix online that made these mug cakes–they really are great for a single treat! My microwave just broke-so before I can indulge-I need to get another one!

6. avatar
    Heather says:
    January 16, 2015

I can’t believe this cake can be made In five minutes!? It looks delicious so its a winner I my book!

7. avatar
    Brittany says:
    January 16, 2015

This looks sooo heavenly and scrumptious!

8. avatar
    January 16, 2015

This looks yummy! Thanks so much for the recipe idea! I love all those mug cakes!

9. avatar
    Jaime says:
    January 16, 2015

Oh my gawddddddddddd- that looks amazing. I love cherry cake so I know I will have to try your recipe. Yum!

10. avatar
    Kristin says:
    January 16, 2015

You’re always making me drool with your delicious dishes.

11. avatar
    Caitlin says:
    January 17, 2015

Looks super delicious and I love that it only takes a few minutes to make it!

12. avatar
    January 18, 2015

Oh my goodness, yum! I think you were right choosing the vanilla and I would love to try it.

13. avatar
    india says:
    January 21, 2015

Milk is cup,teaspoon,tablespoon!???? Thank you

14. avatar
    Karen says:
    November 11, 2015

How much milk do you use? The recipe doesn’t say.

November 11, 2015

Cup, Karen! 1/4 cup of milk of your choice. Sorry about that!

4Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Cherry Almond Mug Cake

1. […] I found an outstanding solution that’s economical, just as quick as waiting for delivery, and masks that pungent flavor that whole grains can have. WIN! Instead of whole wheat flour use white whole wheat flour, which is the same flour that I add in baked goods that you’ll find in this Cherry Almond Mug Cake. […]

2. […] Cherry Almond Mug Cake {The Foodie Affair} […]

3. […] Cherry desserts are typically such a beast to make because they take forever due to the endless job of pitting cherries. Luckily, with this recipe, you can enjoy the taste of cherry pie without any of the effort. Recipe and photo via The Foodie Affair. […]

Leave me your thoughts